Police Beat

Hooded man exposes penis

Police responded to the University Services Building in reference to a man exposing his genitals Jan. 16 at 6:45 a.m.

A woman called officers after she said she saw a man’s penis. The woman was taking the trash out to the dumpster on the north side of the building when she observed a college-aged man wearing a dark sweat suit and track shoes. The man had a hood pulled over his head, so she did not get a good look at his facial features.

The woman said that as she approached the dumpster the man pulled his sweatpants down to his thighs, exposing his penis. He then grabbed his penis and asked “”Do you want some of this?”” The man then ran westbound on Second Street across from Euclid.

The woman did not know who the man was, but though she might be able to identify him if he was found. There are no suspects and no witnesses.

Resident ‘accidentally’ has Taser in Yuma dorm

A man was referred to the Dean of Students’ Office for having a stun gun Jan. 17 at 7:35 p.m. Police responded to the Yuma dorm after being contacted by a resident assistant. The RA told police that the day before, he had been in his room when he heard a “”pop, such as a zap.”” A resident walked by his room shortly after, saying that he thought the noise sounded like a Taser. The RA then went to the room where he heard the noise and did not notice anything. Later that night, he heard a female resident talking about almost getting Tasered. During the rest of the building check, he heard more people talk about the Taser and the resident whose room he had been in earlier.

Police made contact with the resident. He told them that he did have a stun gun in his room, but it was accidental. He said he normally carried it in his car “”for protection, because I was in a life-threatening accident and cannot run.”” He admitted to showing the stun gun to his friends, but said that he did not spark it in the dorm.

The officers also spoke to the female resident who said she had almost been Tasered. She told them that the situation had been blown way out of proportion and that she had not been attacked and no one made an attempt to stun her.

Police had the resident escort them to his car. The stun gun was inside a backpack. It was removed from the backpack, seized, and placed in evidence for safekeeping. The man was referred to the Dean of Students’ Office.

Man in possession of plethora of paraphernalia

A man was arrested and booked in jail on two charges Jan. 17, at 10:40 a.m. While conducting a security check of the UA Main Library, an officer observed a man viewing pornography on a computer on the fifth floor. The officer also saw that the man had a sheathed knife on his belt.

The officer made contact with the man and took the knife. The officer then asked the man to step outside the library. When they were outside, the officer pointed out the “”Weapon-Free Zone”” sign attached to the entry ways of the doors. The man replied, “”I don’t pay attention to signs on doors. Besides, I have a much bigger knife in my backpack.””

A records check showed that the man had been warned against trespassing at the library by library staff and University of Arizona Police Department on Dec. 12, 2008.

The man was arrested for interfering with a public institution. While searching the man, the officer found a smoking pipe in his front pocket. In the man’s backpack, the officer found a seven-inch knife, a purple cloth bag with three syringes, a meth pipe, two metal spoons, two glass-capped containers, one tourniquet, a brown wooden container with a smoking pipe inside of it and a black cigarette hard case with a smoking pipe inside. All of the smoking pipes had marijuana residue in the bowls.

The man told officers he knew he had been warned for trespassing previously, but did not think it mattered anymore because he was warned last month. He also said that he thought because his knife was in plain view it wasn’t an issue. He had forgotten about the larger knife in his backpack because he had just made it the day before. He also said that the pipes were his, and he used them to smoke marijuana. He also admitted that the syringes and meth pipe belonged to him for “”recreation drug use.”” He also told officers, “”Just to let you know, I am HIV positive.””

The man was placed under arrest for possession of drug paraphernalia and interfering with a public institution. He was issued an exclusionary order from any UA owned, rented, or controlled property for one year. The man was taken to the Pima County Jail.