Police Beat

A woman was arrested for being a minor in possession of alcohol at 2:40 a.m. April 18.

An officer observed the woman sitting on a wall outside the Delta Tau Delta fraternity house, 1050 N. Cherry Ave., who appeared to be passed out.

The officer woke her up. Her speech was extremely slurred, and her breath carried a strong odor of intoxicants.

Her eyes were red, watery and bloodshot, and she threw up several times.

Tucson Fire Department responded and evaluated her for extreme intoxication. TFD cleared her, and she was cited and released.

She rode home in a taxi with one of her friends.

A man was arrested on a Tucson Police Department warrant for a violation of a promise to appear in court at the Manuel T. Pacheco Integrated Learning Center, 1510 E. University Blvd., at 12:07 a.m. April 17.

An officer responded to the ILC at 11:44 p.m. Wednesday in reference to a suspicious person. He had been seen picking up items that did not belong to him from tables.

When the officer arrived, the man was on a computer playing a game. The officer asked to speak with him, and the man verbally identified himself.

He said he had been in the ILC for approximately five hours playing video games. He said he had been looking for a pair of headphones he had lost, but was not looking for or picking up items that did not belong to him.

A records check indicated TPD had a warrant out for his arrest. The officer asked the man to vacate his pockets, and the officer observed an empty syringe. He said he uses syringes to shoot heroin, but that he had not shot up in at least a year.

He said he forgot he had a syringe.

The warrant was confirmed, and the officer placed the man in handcuffs. He was taken to the Pima County Adult Detention Center and booked.

A man was arrested at East Speedway Boulevard and North Campbell Avenue for consuming spirituous liquor in public at 8:15 a.m. April 16.

An officer observed a man sitting at the bus stop at East Speedway Boulevard and North Campbell Avenue and drinking from a 30-ounce can of beer.

The officer contacted the man, who was cited and released.

The beer was emptied at the scene.

A custodial employee reported a man hiding under the south stairs on the Shantz building, 1200 E. South Campus Drive, with two bicycles at 4:15 a.m. April 16.

An officer responded to the building to speak with two employees about a suspicious person. One said she was cleaning the building when she noticed a man rolling a bicycle into the alcove under the building’s south stairs. She asked him what he was doing, and he said he was putting the bike under the stairway because he did not want it to get stolen.

She looked under the stairs and saw another bike already inside the alcove.

She did not recognize the man as a student or an employee, and she asked him about his affiliation with the university. He said he was not a student or an employee.

Another employee began to question the man as well. He asked whom the other bicycle belonged to, and he said it belonged to his brother, who was home asleep.

The male gave no further details. The male employee left the area to contact police and saw the man riding away from the area eastbound on one of the bikes.

The other bike had been removed from under the stairs and was abandoned at the bike rack located west of the Shantz building. It was not secured to the bike rack.

The officer could not contact the owner of the bike the man rode off on because of the time of day.

Police Beat is compiled from official University of Arizona Police Department reports. A complete list of UAPD activity can be found at www.uapd.arizona.edu.