Just Relax, Wildcats: Charming Loft Cinema helps students unwind and learn

Victoria Pereira

The Loft Cinema is located at 3233 East Speedway Boulevard.

The Loft Cinema offers UA students, as well as the Tucson community, a spot relatively close to campus to catch movies they may not generally be interested in. This relaxation gem preserves an appreciation for new independent American, classic, documentary and foreign films.

In addition to film classics, the cinema supports and promotes local filmmakers by screening their works. The theater also hosts events that offer interactive screenings and talks from distinguished members of the community and film world.

Just last weekend, The Loft started its “Journalism on Screen” series with a showing of screenwriter Kurt Luedke’s “Absence of Malice.”

The UA journalism school came in support of the event to participate in the interactive showing. After the movie, Leudke showed up on the big screen during a Skype call interview.

This event is one of many where The Loft offers an entirely different and unique cinematic experience. They combine student interests with classical works to provide an educational, informative and enjoyable movie-going experience.

UA journalism junior, Jamie Lobel, attended the series’ first installment. This was her first time at The Loft, and after her experience, she can’t wait to go back.

Lobel enjoyed the cinema’s cheap price­ — a rate of $7.50 per ticket for students. The popcorn was “way better” than any other theater’s, Lobel added.

Vivian Causevic, a neuroscience junior, said she enjoys that The Loft shows films she wouldn’t normally think to see.

“Because they show older films, I feel like I wouldn’t normally choose to watch them,” Causevic said. “I love the experience of the Cinema — that’s why I keep going back.”

The Loft looks and feels like any other movie theater, but there’s something about the employees, the environment and the films shown that makes the experience feel unique.

It is important to preserve time for relaxation, and students find comfort in knowing they are spending time in an enjoyable environment while learning from the cinema’s screening choices.

Signature events offered by The Loft include screenings with filmmaker Q&As . They support over 450 film industry professionals and scholars who enjoy visiting the theater.

A Loft employee, Ray Borboa, encouraged students to experience the benefits they will receive from visiting the theater.

“The Loft Cinema is great for students to come to because we love film, and we love educating others about films and we love our UA students,” Borboa said.

After a long week of studying, chasing deadlines and sleepless nights, make sure to check out one of The Loft’s screenings to educationally unwind.

Follow Kristine Bruun-Andersen on Twitter.