Power rankings

The second week of college football gave some teams the chance at redemption and others the chance to continue to make a splash. The top of the Pacific 10 Conference looked solid, but matchups against tougher non-conference opponents might shake up the standings this week.

No. 1 Oregon Ducks

Record: 2-0

Last week: No. 1

The Ducks started slowly at Tennessee last week, but their 45-unanswered points were enough to quell any doubts about Oregon’s offense. Chip Kelly’s team got the win in Knoxville, Tenn., via the big play. Until it shows some sign of weakness, which it shouldn’t against Portland State, Oregon remains at the top of the totem pole.

No. 2 Arizona Wildcats

Record: 2-0

Last week: No. 2

Arizona romped The Citadel on both sides of the ball this week. The Wildcats established the run against the Bulldogs and showed that the Arizona offense is dangerous both on the ground and in the air. It doesn’t hurt that the defense still hasn’t allowed a touchdown this season, either. Although impressive in its first two weeks, Arizona’s real measuring stick will come this weekend against Iowa.

No. 3 Stanford Cardinal

Record: 2-0

Last week: No. 3

The Cardinal now officially leads the Pac-10 after a 35-0 routing of UCLA. Stanford looked impressive, but it may have just been the fact that it was playing a Bruins team that can’t just seem to get it together on offense.

No. 4 California Golden Bears

Record: 2-0

Last Week: No. 7

California took care of business against Colorado giving a preview of future Pac-10 matchups to come in 2012. Quarterback Kevin Riley impressed with a career high four touchdowns and Cal is quickly becoming the sleeper team in the Pac-10.

No. 5 Oregon State Beavers

Record: 0-1

Last Week: No. 4

The Beavers took the week to rebound from their heartbreaking loss to Texas Christian, and look to Louisville next weekend. There’s too much talent on this team for them to be down too long.

No. 6 Southern California Trojans

Record: 2-0

Last week: No. 5

Southern California barely scraped by Virginia this week and definitely did not dismiss any doubts about the Trojan defense or the amount of penalties — 65 yards before halftime. Lane Kiffin and USC should rebound against Minnesota this weekend, but they’ll need to work on their discipline before conference play starts.

No. 7 Washington Huskies

Record: 1-1

Last week: No. 6

Quarterback Jake Locker rebounded after the BYU debacle and put up 289 yards against Syracuse. The Huskies are another team with too much talent to be in the middle of the Pac-10 for too long.

No. 8 ASU Sun Devils

Record: 2-0

Last week: No. 8

Although they got the win against NAU, the Sun Devils were far from impressive. The Lumberjacks forced the game late into the second half, and the game was much closer than head coach Dennis Erickson would have liked it. If ASU hopes to make noise in the conference, they’ll have to be more impressive against Wisconsin.

No. 9 UCLA Bruins

Record: 0-2

Last Week: No. 9

The Bruins offense was so lost against the Cardinal that quarterback Kevin Prince was pulled in the fourth quarter. The jury’s still out if Stanford’s defense was that good or if UCLA is just that bad.

No. 10 Washington State Cougars

Record: 1-1

Last week: No. 10

Luck — that’s all Washington State fans can take consolation in after barely knocking off Montana State at the last second.