Update: Softball forces game three

In Palo Alto, Calif., the Arizona Wildcats forced game three in the Stanford Super Regional after defeating the Cardinal 7-3.

In a game where Arizona was the designated home team, the Wildcats were able to limit their errors and take advantage of Stanford’s mistakes to keep hopes of returning to the Women’s College World Series alive.

Although the Cardinal took an early 1-0 lead in the first inning, Arizona scored three runs in the third and continued to score in every inning thereafter. The Wildcats were able to take advantage of two Stanford errors that led to Arizona scores.

In the bottom of the third inning, a three run homer by Arizona shortstop K’lee Arredondo gave the Wildcats the lead. The Cardinal tied the game at three during the top of the fourth inning after a single by senior Maddy Coon.

Arizona would answer, putting two runs in the bottom of the fourth, and then single scores in each of the next two innings.

Stars of the game included Brittany Lastrapes, who went 3 -for-4 with 2 RBI’s, and Arredondo, who had the three run blast early in the game.

Game three is nationally televised on ESPN2 beginning at 8:25 Tucson time. This game three winner will earn a spot in Oklahoma City, Okla., and advance to the Women’s College World Series.