Where can you get great food?

Christina Lauvly, 19, scoops a watermelon Eegee slushy for a customer at the Eegees at the northeast Campbell Avenue and Grant Road.
    Christina Lauvly, 19, scoops a watermelon Eegee slushy for a customer at the Eegee’s at the northeast Campbell Avenue and Grant Road.

Top 10 best pizza joints
    Pizza is a staple of the college world. Easy and inexpensive, it’s a great way to fill up before a night out or study session. According to Pizzaware.com, the average college student eats an estimated 46 slices (or 23 pounds) of pizza per year. If you’re going to be eating that much pizza, why not make it good?

1. Brooklyn Pizza Company
    If thin crust or New York style pizza is your calling, then stop by Brooklyn Pizza. Also check out the homemade gelato, Italian ices, and garlic knots -ÿknotted pieces of pizza dough smothered in a garlic, butter and herb rub served with marinara sauce for dipping.
    534 N. 4th Ave.
    (520) 622-6868
    Delivery available

2. Zachary’s Pizza
    On the other end of the spectrum, Zachary’s offers deep-dish pizza to die for. The olive oil brushed crust and fresh toppings pair perfectly with their sweet and delish pizza sauce. Be prepared for enormous portions at great prices.
    1628 E. 6th St.
    (520) 623-6323
    Carry out available

3. No Anchovies
    Located on University Boulevard, this pizza joint serves up fast slices of thin crust pizza. Subs and various other eats are also available, but it’s all about the pizza. Underagers beware: late nights are 21+ only.
    870 E. University Blvd.
    (520) 623-3333
    Carry out available

4. Frog & Firkin
    Another deep dish, this pizza is not only close to campus but overflowing with gourmet toppings – one pizza goes a long way. Frog & Firkin offers a variety of other English pub style dishes so there’s something for everyone.
    874 E. University Blvd.
    (520) 623-7507

5. Sauce
    A touch further from campus but still close by, Sauce offers super thin crust pizzas with a variety of interesting toppings. Ask anyone who has visited Italy – it’s the closest to real Italian wood fired pizza you’ll find in Tucson. It also has great salads and desserts.
    2990 N. Campbell Ave. # 110
    (520) 795-0344
    Carry out available

6. Magpies Pizza
    A Tucson native and favorite, Magpies is a classic slice of pie that can satisfy any pizza craving. It also offers an array of gourmet salads, pasta and light vegetarian pizzas.
    605 N. 4th Ave.
    (520) 628-1661
    Delivery available

7. Fresco Pizza and Pastaria
    This quick and tasty pizza is another Tucson native. Offering pastas and salads as well as delivery, Fresco has been delighting Tucsonans for 16 years.
    3011 E. Speedway Blvd.
    (520) 881-5555
    2921 E. Ft. Lowell Rd. #101
    (520) 325-7777
    Delivery available

8. Grimaldi’s
    Located right next to campus, Grimaldi’s serves stone fired New York style pizzas.
    Not as thin as Sauce and not quite like Brooklyn’s, Grimaldi’s pizza has a great crust worth trying.
    446 N. Campbell Ave. # 100
    (520) 882-6100
    Carry out available

9. 1702
    Offering pizza, salads, soups and wings, 1702 is a Tucson favorite thanks to its variety of toppings and wide selection of beers. Its convenient location next to campus is a big plus.
    1702 E. Speedway Blvd.
    (520) 325-1702
    Carry out available

10. Oregano’s
    If you’re willing to wait, Oregano’s has great options and serves all types of pizza. Always busy and a bit further away, the great pizzas and salads draw crowds.
    4900 E. Speedway Blvd.
    (520) 327-8955
    Carry out available

Dining In – great options for delivery and late nights
    With many open late and all willing to deliver, these options are great for a night in with friends or studying.

PJ Subs
    Great subs, a plethora of options, and online ordering – what’s not to like?
    2500 E. 6th St.
    (520) 798-1200
    Order online at www.pjsubs.com
    11 a.m. – 8 p.m.

Silver Mine Subs
    While the subs aren’t gourmet, when it’s 2:30 a.m. and you’re hungry, this is a great option.
    760 N. Tyndall Ave.
    (520) 620-6400
    10 a.m. – 3 a.m.

Jimmy Johns
    Close by with simple and well-made subs, this is a great delivery option (not to mention it’s healthier than pizza).
    749 N. Park Ave.
    (520) 206-9999
    Order online at www.jimmyjohns.com
    11 a.m. – 3 a.m.

Pita Pit
    A great alternative to subs and open until 3 a.m., Pita Pit offers a wide variety of ingredients including feta, tzatziki, and spinach among other traditional sandwich toppings to fill up your warm and delicious pita.
    845 E. University Blvd.
    (520) 882-7482
    11 a.m. – 3 a.m.

Tucson Natives
    These restaurants are synonymous with Tucson. No visit to town is complete without eating here.

Nico’s – Mexican fast food.
    A little taste of Tucson culture you can find all over town. The closest UA location is currently moving from the corner of Campbell Avenue and Ft. Lowell Road to across the street from the Albertsons shopping center on the 2900 block of Campbell.

El Guero Canelo – true Mexican fast food.
    This is not like Taco Bell. Make a stop here if you want killer carne asada or its famous Sonoran hot dog, which is a hot dog wrapped in bacon and topped with everything from guacamole to grilled banana peppers.
    2480 N. Oracle Rd.
    (520) 882-8977

Beyond Bread – sandwiches, soup and pastries not to mention fresh bread.
    Beyond Bread is a local eatery that’s been around for more than a decade and offers a wide variety of dishes and plenty of healthy options.
    3026 N. Campbell Ave.
    (520) 322-9965

Eegee’s – fruit slushies.
    This place truly is Tucson with its slushy type fruit drink, killer friesÿ(try the pizza fries) and subs. Eegee’s slushies – the cool treat, not the restaurant – are lifesavers during the killer hot summers.
    2470 N. Campbell Ave.
    (520) 325-9901

Los Betos – Mexican fast food.
    Another Mexican fast food option, many open 24 hours, that Tucsonans love. They have all the staples and offer Mexican food a thousand times better than what Taco Bell could ever serve.
    32 N. Campbell Ave.
    (520) 628-7462

Zemam’s – Ethiopian food.
    In Tucson? Yes. Zemam’s is an interesting eating option that offers unique flavors and a silverware-free eating style. If you enjoy Middle Eastern or Indian food, this is for you.
    2731 E. Broadway Blvd.
    (520) 323-9928