Men’s golf finishes ninth in Tempe

Arizona men’s golf shot a final round of 366 at the Pacific 10 Conference Championships Wednesday, earning the Wildcats a 1-over-par, ninth-place finish for the tournament.

Junior Tarquin MacManus was the UA’s highest finisher in 14th place at 6-under-par.

“”It was one of those weeks where I didn’t do anything special, but didn’t do horribly either,”” MacManus said. “”I think it went about the same for the rest of the guys.””

For the second consecutive year, the Washington Huskies won the tournament, which was in Tempe.

The Huskies — who finished at 37-under-par — overtook Stanford, which led after each of the first three rounds. The Cardinal shot a final-round 363, 8-over-par. Washington, on the other hand, shot 353 Wednesday, giving them a 3-stroke victory. 

Sophomore Philip Bagdade had UA’s lowest final-round score — a 1-under-par 70 — and finished in 15th at 5-under-par. Senior Rich Saferian tied for 31st at 1-over-par, and junior Jonathan Khan finished tied for 42nd at 6-over-par.

Arizona freshmen Juan Pablo Hernandez and Trent Redfern finished in ties for 46th (8-over-par) and 54th (12-over-par), respectively.

Eric Mina of California was the individual champion, shooting a 16-under-par 268 for the week.

The Wildcats appeared to have a firm grasp on an at-large bid to an NCAA regional heading into the Pac-10 Championships but may have played themselves onto the bubble.

“”It’s hard to say at the moment (whether UA will receive a bid), we just have to sit tight and wait for the results to come in,”” MacManus said. “”We’re pretty confident about continuing on.””