New Arizona jerseys come at a high price

Briana+Sanchez+%2F+Arizona+Daily+Wildcat%0A%0AThe+new+UA+football+jerseys+are+now+being+sold+inside+the+bookstore+in+the+student+union.+The+navy+blue+jerseys+are+%24120+and+the+red+jerseys+are+%2490.+
Briana Sanchez
Briana Sanchez / Arizona Daily Wildcat The new UA football jerseys are now being sold inside the bookstore in the student union. The navy blue jerseys are $120 and the red jerseys are $90.

The opinion of the Arizona football team’s new uniforms is decidedly split.

Some love them, some hate them. Some are in between and some just don’t care.

One thing is clear though — the jerseys are selling for a ridiculous price.

The UA’s new jerseys retail at $90 for a red one and $120 for a blue one, up from $60 on last year’s make.

The uniforms look pretty good, and hopefully the new numbers will actually be legible from a distance this time. The gradient effect looks like an allusion to the ‘80s sunrise Arizona logo everyone loves. But $90?

The new uniforms are an upgrade in quality — they are just like the NFL jerseys. But $90 or $120 is too much for a shirt that you’ll likely spill nacho cheese on and sweat in at August and September games.

Nike hasn’t unveiled all of its 2013 line, but other teams with new uniforms this year like North Carolina and West Virginia also have the $90 fan jerseys. Same as Kansas State and Ohio State, though neither school is changing its uniforms this year. It looks like pricey jerseys are Nike’s new MO.

When the Swoosh took over manufacturing the NFL’s uniforms last year, it also unveiled ridiculously priced jerseys with the cheapest being $100.

Nike has priced themselves too high. Other than at NFL games on TV, I’ve only ever seen two other people with the expensive NFL jerseys and, like mine, they were “Peyton Manning” Bronco jerseys that weren’t available before last season.

On game day at Arizona Stadium you see lots of UA jerseys, but surely only a few of those will be the new gradient ones.

The other issue with the jerseys is the number: both the blue and red ones only have No. 33. For the uninitiated, No. 33 is Jake Fischer, a great candidate to be the face of Arizona football.
But he’s no Ka’Deem Carey, No. 25.

The football staff chooses the number on the jerseys and passes it along to Nike, Alixe Holcomb, trademarks and licensing director, said in an email.

There are four former Wildcats in the college football Hall of Fame, yet Carey has the potential to be the best UA player ever.
Sure he’s had some offseason trouble. The charges were dropped, though, and he has stayed out of trouble.

Innocent until proven guilty doesn’t seem to apply to sports. The charges against Carey were dismissed before he even stood trial.

Maybe there is another reason for Fischer over Carey. Fischer is a senior, but when Nick Foles was a junior, his No. 8 graced the Arizona football jerseys that year.

Fischer is from Oro Valley, having prepped at Ironwood Ridge High School, and that’s always appealing for marketing purposes.

Carey is also from Oro Valley, having attended Canyon del Oro High School, along with softball star Kenzie Fowler, who the UA put on streetlight banners.

There’s just no reason to deny Arizona fans the chance to buy a jersey with the number of the 2012 NCAA leading rusher.

There should at least be 25 and 33 jerseys.

Nike and UA seemed to have dropped the ball with the new jerseys.