Foles named starter for remainder of season

David Maialetti
Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Nick Foles throws a pass during the 1st quarter against the Dallas Cowboys at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas, on Sunday, December 2, 2012. (David Maialetti/Philadelphia Inquirer/MCT)

Former Wildcat quarterback Nick Foles is no longer just a temporary replacement for the Philadelphia Eagles, as head coach Andy Reid named Foles the starter for the remainder of the season on Monday.

“Today I’m going to name Foles — Nick — the starting quarterback for the remainder of the season,” said Reid, according to CBS Sports. “Mike [Vick] is on the fast track, so we might be able to get him back this season. Number one is his health, most importantly. And number two, it gives one of our young players an opportunity to play here the next four games as the starter. Each week, he’s come in as the replacement guy.

“Now he is the starter, and we’ll see how he does with that on his plate.”

Foles, a third-round selection out of the UA, came in for the injured Vick in week 10 against the Dallas Cowboys. Foles immediately showed his deep passing ability with a 44-yard touchdown pass to Jeremy Maclin, but a fourth-quarter interception that was returned for a touchdown sealed a loss for Philadelphia.

Through Foles’ four appearances under center, he’s averaged 198 yards a game with a 60.9 percent completion rate, two touchdowns and three interceptions. The Wildcats’ all-time passing leader had a career-high 251 yards and a touchdown Sunday night in another loss to the Cowboys, giving him a 96.6 quarterback rating.

“You see, the footwork is better when he’s throwing the football,” said Reid, according to the Associated Press. “It’s allowing us to add more into his repertoire of throws and he’s been working very hard on that.”

The Eagles have lost all four games Foles has played, but the struggles can’t be pinned all on the rookie. Philadelphia is on an eight-game losing slide and is a game ahead of the Jacksonville Jaguars for the worst record in the NFL.

Foles holds Arizona’s all-time career records in passing yards, touchdown passes and completion percentage and went 15-18 as the starter in Tucson.