Women’s golf falters at Bruin Wave

After building a three-stroke lead heading into Tuesday’s second round of the Bruin Wave Invitational, the Arizona women’s golf team (6-over-par) shot an abysmal 11-over-par as it slid down the leader board to fourth place, six strokes behind leading UCLA (even).

The Wildcats didn’t have one player break par in the second round, and leading scorers Alejandra Llaneza and Nikki Koller shot a combined 10-over-par after entering the day at a combined 11-under-par. 

Freshman sensation Sherlyn Popelka recovered nicely from a poor first round of 7-over-par as she finished the second round at even par.

Koller recorded five bogeys on the back nine of the course, including three consecutive on holes 15-17 on her way to shooting 7-over-par, an 11-stroke swing from the 4-under-par she shot in Monday’s first round.

Llaneza followed up a first round score of 3-under-par with a 4-over-par 76 in yesterday’s second round. She was solid but unspectacular, recording only one birdie on the day and a double-bogey on the par-4 sixth.

UCLA is at even par after two rounds, while Pepperdine and Southern California are in a tie for second, both at 4-over-par. Arizona and ASU are tied for fourth, as both sit at 6-over-par. 

The third and final round is scheduled for today, with tee times beginning at 8:45 a.m.