UA offers multitude of club options

UA offers multitude of club options

With more than 500 student organizations to pick from, finding your niche on campus is as easy as logging onto a computer.

“”The easiest, most basic strategy is just to get online,”” said Jessica Anderson, Executive Vice-President of the Associated Students of the University of Arizona.

The ASUA website, www.asua.arizona.edu, has a “”Clubs”” tab located in a bar at the top of the page that will lead to a database of hundreds of student clubs that include sports teams, philanthropies, political causes, professional societies and social groups.

“”You can get on the Web site and see that, oh cool, there’s a lacrosse club,”” said Pete Pereira, an ASUA adviser for clubs.

The club database available on the Web site will also be undergoing some major changes this year to add to its functionality. During the upcoming semester, the UA’s club Web site will allow clubs to create profiles much like on Facebook, allowing clubs to communicate with members, keep rosters, track attendance, create message boards, balance budgets, upload photos, and even sell T-shirts, Anderson said.

The new Web site will also allow students to create their own profiles to match them with clubs that fit their interests, Pereira said.

“”It will be a lot more user-friendly,”” he said.

Anderson advises students that want to get involved to shop early. Most student clubs will have mixers and other social events at the beginning of the year to boost membership and introduce students to their organizations,

she said.

ASUA also hosts a Student Involvement Fair early in the semester on the UA Mall, where campus clubs will be out in force to find new members and get the word out about what they do, Pereira said.

This year’s Student Involvement Fair will be held from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Aug. 28.

“”Instead of playing phone tag or e-mail, students will be able to get face-to-face contact with different clubs and organizations,”” he said. “”We’ll be trying to get as many out there as we can.””

There is an itch for every scratch on campus. Politically minded students can check out the College Republicans or the Young Democrats. Anderson said that Alpha Phi Omega is “”an awesome philanthropy.”” Sports clubs like Wildcat Rugby and the Laxcats lacrosse team have long histories at the UA.

For more eccentric tastes, there is even an Arizona Quidditch Club. The team plays a “”muggle-adapted”” version of the magical sport from the Harry Potter series.

“”It’s just like Quidditch from Harry Potter – only you can’t fly,”” said John Putz, team founder and UA graduate.

ASUA’s Appropriations Board also oversees a $100,000 budget that distributes funding to clubs. Putz said that the Arizona Quidditch Club received $75 for broomsticks and

kickballs.

Putz said that being in a club is a great way to make friends and take your mind off the more serious parts of being a student.

“”It was really fun and really stress relieving,”” he said, “”especially during finals.””