‘Fired Up’ funnier than expected

What guy wouldn’t mind being at a camp surrounded by 300 cheerleaders? “”Fired Up”” is a brilliant comedy that tops “”Bring It On!””

For football studs Shawn Colfax (Nicholas D’Agosto) and Nick Brady (Eric Christian Olsen), another two weeks at football camp in El Paso,

Texas means another two weeks without girls. That’s when the two decide to join the cheer squad and go to cheer camp instead. While Shawn and Nick can seduce every girl they meet, one girl manages to resist their charm. Her name is Carly (Sarah Roemer) and she also happens to be the captain of the cheer squad. For a while, Shawn and Nick think life is great, but then Shawn realizes he is starting to fall for Carly. To make matters worse, the big cheer competition is after their two week time limit.

This movie is loaded with humor ranging from slap-stick to sexual innuendos. It is also great to see Nick and Shawn communicate their plans by way of football plays. The casting for this movie could not have been better. Who would have ever thought that Eric Christian Olsen could go from playing the horrible father, Craig, in “”Eagle Eye”” to one of the funniest characters since Saul in “”Pineapple Express?”” Nicholas D’Agosto does a great job in making the jump from small roles in NBC’s “”Heroes”” and “”The Office”” to comedic protagonist in “”Fired Up.”” Sarah Roemer has now starred in two great movies: “”Disturbia”” and “”Fired Up.”” While “”Fired Up”” is the total opposite genre of “”Disturbia,”” Roemer pulls off being the captain of the cheer team exceptionally well in both her appearance and actions. “”Fired Up”” is a great comedy which resembles “”Bring It On,”” except reversed, while at the same time pulling in elements from “”Dodgeball”” and “”Accepted.”” This is by far one of the best comedy movies of 2009 so far.

Rating: *****