Summer music preview

Whether you’ll be staying in Tucson, partying with friends or traveling to some far-off destination this summer, you’re going to need a soundtrack for your adventures. Here are 10 upcoming albums that are guaranteed to make your summer rock.

Maroon 5 – It Won’t Be Soon Before Long

Pop-rock band Maroon 5 hopes to dispel any one-album wonder rumors with its sophomore release. The band’s first album since 2002’s Songs About Jane promises to have a less sexy-rock feel and a sexier electronic feel. Thankfully, the band didn’t wait until the album’s release and have given fans a taste of what to expect with the explicit first single “”Makes Me Wonder.”” (May 22)

Ozzy Osbourne – Black Rain

The grandfather of heavy metal returns with his first solo album since 2001’s Down to Earth. He claims that he was completely sober for the recording process this time, but we should probably take that with a grain of salt. Combined with the announcement that the Ozzfest festival will be free this year, this album could be a big musical comeback for Ozzy, provided we can figure out what the hell he’s saying. (May 22)

Municipal Waste – The Art of Partying

Need a musical backdrop for nights of beer-fueled mayhem and destruction? Municipal Waste has you covered. The group’s blend of ’80s thrash metal and hardcore punk is a hell of a lot of fun, and if its previous album, Hazardous Mutation, is any indication, this record will be a blast, too. (June 12)

Pig Destroyer – Phantom Limb

If you’re looking for something a little louder (okay, a LOT louder), look no further than Pig Destroyer, which makes some of the most brutal and devastating metal imaginable. It created an unholy mix of grindcore, death metal and thrash on 2004’s Terrifyer, and with Phantom Limb it’s looking to maintain its title as the heaviest band in the land. Warning: Putting this CD next to any indie rock albums on your shelf may cause them to burst into flames. (June 12)

Queens of the Stone Age – Era Vulgaris

Josh Homme and Co. are back with their follow-up to the outstanding Lullabies To Paralyze. These guys always have a few tricks up their sleeves, but you can expect the record to be full of lots of great riffs and bizarre lyrics. Besides, how can something with an album title like Era Vulgaris be anything but awesome? (June 12)
    The White Stripes – Icky Thump
    Setting aside the weird album title for a moment, Jack and Meg White are always full of surprises. Their last album, Get Behind Me Satan, was a hodge-podge of different genres and styles and their most ambitious work to date. Their ability to combine catchy tunes with great musicianship means that this album will definitely be one of the most-anticipated releases of the summer. (June 19)

Smashing Pumpkins – Zeitgeist

Sure, D’Arcy and James probably won’t be a part of the new Smashing Pumpkins project, but this reunion is still a pretty big deal. Details on the album are pretty sparse, but the return of this band will really have people talking. Will it be a classic like Siamese Dream or Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, or a flop like Machina: The Machines of God? Stay tuned. (July 7)

Against Me! – New Wave

After being delayed a couple of times, Against Me! is finally releasing its long-awaited fourth album, and its first on a major label, which was considered by fans a very controversial move. The band’s tried out a few new tracks on the road, and they sound pretty good, especially the politically charged “”White People For Peace.”” (July 10)

Bad Religion – New Maps of Hell

These California punk legends may be getting up in years, but after more than two decades as a band, they can still play louder and faster than bands half their age. With a lengthy track list, you can probably expect short and energetic blasts of punk rock, and most likely some choice words about the Bush administration. (July 10)

Tegan & Sara – The Con

These identical twin sisters from Canada often juxtapose sunny pop melodies with songs about failed relationships and heartache, but there are bound to be a few upbeat songs to brighten your day. Their 2004 album So Jealous was full of great songs like “”Walking With a Ghost,”” and The Con will surely be just as fun and catchy. If you decide that you can’t get enough of these two, look for Tegan’s guest vocals on the new Against Me! album. (July 24)