“Hispanic Center to stay open, official says”

The university’s Chicano/Hispano Student Affairs Center will remain open, according to an email sent out to members of the UA Hispanic community by Brenda Munoz of the Mexican American Studies and Research Center.

The email has quelled some of the concerns that University students have had regarding the plan to merge all of minority student centers into a proposed singular Unity Center.

With the news that the Chicano/Hispano Center will remain open, doubt is cast on whether or not the Unity Center will in fact become a reality, said Chicano/Hispano Student Affairs leaders.

They said official word is coming soon from President Robert Shelton and Melissa Vito, vice president for Student Affairs.

Shelton and Vito met with more than 200 members of the Hispanic community on Monday, as the audience fired more than 50 questions, concerns and criticisms about the plan to merge the on-campus cultural centers.

Some members of the audience went so far as to call the Unity Center plan a way for the UA administration to “”kill student voice””.

Following the meeting, Shelton assured the crowd that he and Vito would look over the information and make the best judgment they could out of it.

Stay with the Daily Wildcat for more information on the Chicano/Hispano Center as it is uncovered.