Soccer hosts Nevada before showdown with No. 3 Texas

UA midfielder Samantha Drees dribbles up field during last Fridays 2-1 loss to Utah at Murphey Stadium. Drees, forward London King and midfielder Jacqueline Broussard - all expected to be big scorers - look to get on the board for the first time this season against Nevada today and No. 3 Texas Sunday at home.
    UA midfielder Samantha Drees dribbles up field during last Friday’s 2-1 loss to Utah at Murphey Stadium. Drees, forward London King and midfielder Jacqueline Broussard – all expected to be big scorers – look to get on the board for the first time this season against Nevada today and No. 3 Texas Sunday at home.

Coming off an up-and-down opening weekend, the Arizona soccer team will be forced to steady itself quickly when the Wildcats host Nevada tonight and No. 3 Texas in a rare Sunday night showdown.

Both games will begin at 7 p.m. on their respective days at Murphey Stadium.

No. 3 Texas (2-0-0) is coming into this weekend on a high after recording the “”biggest (soccer) upset in school history,”” according to the Texas soccer Web site, beating the previously No. 2 UCLA, 2-1. The win propelled the Longhorns up four spots in the national standings, making them appear even more dangerous than previously assumed.

Despite the No. 3 team coming into town, Arizona is not letting itself be distracted by the Longhorns’ status. In fact, UA head coach Dan Tobias said his team is more focused on the first game against Nevada at the moment, despite Nevada only having three total wins against Pacific 10 Conference teams in program history.

“”We don’t play Texas until Sunday, so that’s not something we’re thinking about right now,”” Tobias said. “”When you come to (Arizona) everyone knows you’re going to play good teams. Nevada started the season 0-2, but they were the (Western Athletic) Conference champions last season. So we have to focus on one thing at a time and not overlook anybody.””

Although the coaching staff may not be looking ahead to Texas quite yet, some of Arizona’s younger players are looking forward to the opportunity of taking on a top-ranked team.

“”I think it’s exciting,”” freshman Jacqueline Zinke said. “”They’re obviously a good team, and that pushes us to work harder and

be better.””

Although they have been kept silent thus far, Arizona may need its three main goal scorers against Texas this weekend. Forward London King and midfielders Jacqueline Broussard and Samantha Drees could have a significant impact on whether Arizona will come away with two wins.

None of those players have

netted a goal, despite the team scoring five goals in the opening weekend. Uncharacteristically, three of the teams’ five goals on the season came from players with no previous career goals.

“”I actually think it’s great that the three of us haven’t scored yet,”” Drees said of herself, Broussard and King. “”It shows that we’re dynamic all over the field and that we have people who can score wherever they are.””

Although not scoring in the season’s first two games has not bothered Drees, she did say she felt the trio simply missed their opportunities last weekend. Still, they combined for seven shots in Friday’s contest alone.

“”I think we just need to work a little harder and finish the chances we’re given,”” Drees said. “”I know we had some good chances Friday night. Now it’s just a matter of mentality and pushing ourselves a little harder.””

Whether the trio of main attackers gets on the board this weekend or not, one advantage the Wildcats will have involves its home field. Arizona will host back-to-back games for the first time this season.

Despite losing its season opener to Utah at home last Friday, Drees said playing at home should be a big advantage for Arizona.

“”Hopefully the crowd will be big and they’ll be cheering us on,”” Drees said. “”And hopefully then we’ll take it to Texas and Nevada.””