UA professor brings trombone talent to Tucson

MoisǸs Paiewonsky, a new professor in the music department, will combine different types of jazz in the trombone recital Both Sides of the Slide. The recital takes place at Crowder Hall on Monday, and admission is free.
    MoisǸs Paiewonsky, a new professor in the music department, will combine different types of jazz in the trombone recital ‘Both Sides of the Slide.’ The recital takes place at Crowder Hall on Monday, and admission is free.

Moisés Paiewonsky was disappointed when he was unable to play the trumpet in his middle school band due to the size of his lips.

Now a highly decorated and distinguished trombone player and a new music professor, he is happy about the way things turned out.

Paiewonsky is currently earning his doctoral degree in music and teaching various music courses at the UA. He has a nearly endless rǸsumǸ of awards and accomplishments pertaining to the trombone. Some of these include performing award-winning recordings at Carnegie Hall, performing as the lead trombonist at the Walt Disney World Christmas Brass and the 2004 Walt Disney World All-American College Band, as well as in various respectable university orchestras. Paiewonsky’s list of accomplishments goes on and on from there.

Previously attending and directing ensembles at the University of Florida, Paiewonsky said the UA’s “”versatile program”” attracted him to Tucson.

“”There are so many different facets and they are all so strong,”” he said. “”I have always dreamt of having a studio at a large university with a strong music program. The UA is a great music school. I just couldn’t pass up the opportunity.””

It appears that Paiewonsky is very happy with his decision.

“”I’ve got great students; I’m having a great time,”” he said. “”We started a trombone ensemble, I’m getting lots of calls from students interested in what we’re doing. So far it’s been fantastic, I really like it here.””

I’ve got great students; I’m having a great time.

Moisés Paiewonsky,
    trombone player

In an effort to get his name out, Paiewonsky will be featured in an upcoming trombone recital titled “”Both Sides of the Slide.”” The show will display an eclectic mix of the various stylings of trombone performance.

“”I’m trying to demonstrate both the artistic Western music side and also the jazz, more commercial side,”” he said. “”Expect a lot of versatility and variety.

“”It’s going to be an exciting show,”” he said. “”I’m looking forward to people getting to hear me and being able to play a recital in Crowder – It’s a very nice hall.””

Paiewonsky said he hopes to be at the UA for a while.

“”This job is actually only a one-year appointment so they are going to redo the interview process. I plan on reapplying and trying to stay, and if I land the job again, then I am here indefinitely,”” he said. “”I would love to stay, get my feet planted and make this my home.””

“”Both Sides of the Slide”” is free of charge and will take place in Crowder Hall in the School of Music building, 1017 N. Olive Ave., at 7:30 p.m. Monday.