Nintendo announces details of new console, Wii U

Earlier this morning, Nintendo finally revealed a multitude of details concerning their highly anticipated new console, the Wii U, which will be released on Nov. 18 in the U.S.

The basic version of the console will cost $299, which includes the console, one of the new Wii U GamePad, a sensor bar for motion control, AC adapters for the console and controller, and an HDMI cable. Gamers will have to buy their own Wii remotes (used for Nintendo’s previous console) or use ones they already have.

Nintendo is also releasing, for a limited time, a deluxe set for $349. It includes everything from the basic set, but with more memory, a console stand and a cradle used for charging the GamePad and a copy of the system’s poster game “Nintendo Land.”

In addition, buyers of the deluxe edition will receive a membership to what Nintendo is calling the Deluxe Digital Promotion, a service that provides discounts on digital items like downloadable content until 2014. There’s still no word on whether this offer is available as a standalone purchase to those who buy the regular console.

There’s also this new thing called TVii, which allows Wii U users to stream video services like Netflix and YouTube to the system and GamePad.

As for launch titles, the only first party ones will be the aforementioned “Nintendo Land” and “New Super Mario Bros. U,” though there are sure to be more announced as the release draws closer.

There are many third-party titles though, such as Activision’s “Call of Duty: Black Ops II,” Electronic Arts’ “Mass Effect 3,” Ubisoft’s “Assassins Creed III” and THQ’s “Darksiders II” (pretty much all the good sequels).

Then there are games like “Pikmin 3” and “ZombieU” which Nintendo claims will be released during the launch window, which goes from the November release until March 31.

Game prices are still missing though, and while Nintendo mentioned the cost of an extra gamepad for Japanese users (it’s expensive), there’s no word on the cost for Americans.