Women’s golf moves to third in Pac-10s

Alison Walshe
    Alison Walshe

The Arizona women’s golf team moved up a spot in the Pacific 10 Conference Championships yesterday and now sits in third place entering today’s final round.

The No. 16 Wildcats shot a 16-over 304 in the second round, bringing their tournament score to 37-over 613.

With tournament leader No. 2 ASU holding a 16-stroke advantage, Arizona head coach Greg Allen said it is going to be a tall task to leapfrog the Sun Devils.

“”That is certainly a lot,”” Allen said. “”We aren’t going to say it’s impossible to catch ASU, but it is certainly going to be tough. We are going to need a lot of help from ASU.””

Junior Alison Walshe led the Wildcats once again, with a 2-over 74 yesterday. The nation’s No. 5 player now sits in fifth place individually.

ASU’s No. 2-ranked Anna Nordqvist is leading the tournament after shooting an even 72, and is now nine strokes ahead of Walshe. Nordqvist shot a tournament-best 4-under 68 in the first round.

Although Walshe is sitting in fifth, she said that she “”struggled”” on the course once again.

“”I think the team played a lot better (yesterday) than in the first round,”” Walshe said. “”Like (Monday), it was a bit of a struggle, but I hung in there and it feels good (for the team) to be in third.””

Nordqvist’s success has really made a difference for ASU, Allen said.

“”(ASU) is getting great numbers from their one through four,”” Allen said. “”(Nordqvist and Walshe) are probably the two best players in the conference right now, but we are down by a total of 16 and the difference between our No. 1 and (ASU’s) No. 1 is nine strokes.””