Two teens charged with Albany killing

Detectives arrested two teens overnight in the murder of 17-year-old Tyler Rhodes on Saturday in Hoffman Park, police said.

Jah-Lah Tyree Vanderhorst, 16, of 414 Delaware Ave. and Dhoruba A. Shauib, 19, of 208 Jefferson St. were charged with second-degree murder. Vanderhorst also was charged with criminal possession of a weapon.

Police said Vanderhorst stabbed Rhodes in the upper chest with a knife at around 7 p.m. Saturday. The attack occurred in front of witnesses including young children, police said.

Shauib blocked Rhodes from moving by standing behind him while Vanderhorst stabbed him, police said, and both caused his death.

Both were arraigned in City Court Tuesday morning and sent to the Albany County Jail. They are being held without bail.

Rhodes’ family and friends as well as supporters of both accused killers were in the courtroom.

“”It is a sad day for the city of Albany. This is a tragedy,”” said Matthew Smalls, an attorney who said he represents Vanderhorst’s family but not the teen. “”We are potentially looking at the loss of three young men.””

None would speak with reporters.

The South End‘s Hoffman Park was a favorite spot for Rhodes who could often be seen shooting hoops and hanging out with friends.

Rhodes was a junior at Albany High School who sprinted on the track and field team and was popular among his classmates.

Cecily Wilson, interim North House principal at Albany High, said that although good grades didn’t necessarily come easily to the teenager, he worked hard, particularly in history.

“”I never had issues with him. He got himself to classes on time,”” she said Sunday. “”When I hadn’t seen him in a while, he’d joke, ‘You know, Ms. Wilson, you haven’t seen me in a while; I’m doing what I’m supposed to be doing.'””

On Sunday, Stacey Rhodes, described her son as smart, athletic and fun-loving.

“”He told you how it was,”” she said, “”whether you liked it or not.””

Rhodes, of Washington Avenue, said her son had told her he was going to Hoffman Park the night of his death. Their family once lived in the area, but he often returned to ride bikes and catch up with his old neighbors.

“”It wasn’t worth it,”” she said. “”It was senseless.””