Police Beat

A man was cited for urinating on a tree in public at the Campus Christian Center, 715 N. Park Ave., Feb. 19, reports stated.

A representative called police after seeing the man urinate on a tree outside the center at 10:20 a.m.

The man told police he had no other place to go, and he added, “”The tree needed to be watered anyway.””

He was warned about trespassing and told the center did not want him to return.

A man was arrested for consuming alcohol in his vehicle and displaying fictitious plates Feb. 20, reports stated.

A police officer saw that the registration was expired for the vehicle the man was driving.

When the man stopped for police near North Park Avenue and East Speedway Boulevard, the passenger in his car got out with a can of beer and started walking away.

The officer ordered the man to get back in the vehicle, and he did so.

Two opened cans of beer were found in the vehicle. The driver said, “”I only had a little sip of beer.”” He said he had drank from a 32-ounce can that was three-quarters empty. The passenger said the other can was his.

The driver also told police a friend had loaned him the license plate on the vehicle, but he gave police a different name than the one the plates belonged to. He was cited and released.

A man was arrested for bicycle theft and trespassing Feb. 20, reports stated.

A police officer saw the man riding a bicycle while rolling another beside him near East Speedway Boulevard and North Campbell Avenue at 3:30 a.m.

The man said he found one of the bicycles unlocked near a ramp between the Olive Street Tunnel and the Architecture Building and decided to take it.

The officer recognized the man, who had been warned about trespassing at the UA in December, when he was seen with bike parts and tire tubes.

Neither of the bicycles was reported as stolen, according to a check of their serial numbers. The man was booked into Pima County Jail.

A man was arrested for possession of drug paraphernalia and an outstanding warrant at 3:24 a.m. Feb. 20, reports stated.

He and another man were seen by police in Park Avenue Parking Garage, 1140 N. Park Ave. One man ran when he saw the police officers, and police were unable to find him.

The man said he was just meeting an “”old friend”” and didn’t know why his friend ran away from police. He couldn’t give police any other information about his friend.

He told police he was walking home from a bike shop where he goes to salvage unwanted bicycle parts. He didn’t answer police when they asked why he was walking home in the wrong direction.

He had an outstanding warrant from the Tucson Police Department, and he was arrested for trespassing.

While being transported to Pima County jail, he told police he was battling a meth addiction. He gave police a pipe and a small amount of meth he had in one of his pockets.

An umbrella was damaged and water and coffee syrups were stolen at the Common Grounds coffee cart, 1401 E. University Blvd., Feb. 19, reports stated.

The manager of the cart told police the umbrella that shades the cart was found damaged and a crate of water and some coffee syrups were stolen sometime between 1 p.m. Feb. 16 and 7 a.m. Feb. 19.

The damages and missing items were valued at $354.

Police have no suspects or witnesses.

About 40 books were stolen from a study room in the Main Library, 1510 E. University Blvd., Feb. 19, reports stated.

A student left the books in a study room on the fourth floor of the library around 9 a.m. Feb. 14 and found them missing when he returned at 9:19 a.m. Feb. 19.

The student thought someone may have moved the ceiling tiles to get into the room. A police officer saw that the dust on the tiles did not appear to have been disturbed.

A man was cited for trespassing after using the shower in Bear Down Gym, 1428 E. University Blvd., at 1:16 p.m. Feb. 19, reports stated.

The man said he had just gotten out of prison and came to the gym to take a shower. He said he had been warned before about trespassing on UA property.

He was cited for third-degree trespassing and released.

Police Beat is compiled from official University of Arizona Police Department reports. For a complete list of UAPD activity, the daily resume can be found at http://www.uapd.arizona.edu