‘Big Gay Musical’ comes out to Tucson

Igniting the film festival circuit with its infectious songs and poignant message, “”The Big Gay Musical”” hits Tucson for a one-night-only special screening at 7:30 p.m. Thursday at The Loft Cinema. The film’s star Joey Dudding will be in attendance for the film’s Arizona premiere.

“”The Big Gay Musical”” began its cross-continental tour last September and has traveled as far as Hamburg, Germany, to reach audiences from diverse cultural backgrounds. The film tells the story of Paul (Daniel Robinson) and Eddie (Joey Dudding), two off-Broadway actors in a production of “”Adam and Steve: Just The Way God Made ‘Em.””

Paul is struggling to find the perfect man, while Eddie is conflicted between his religious faith and his sexuality. Their tumultuous storylines plunge the audience into a wild and exuberant musical tale of sexual identity, faith and love.

“”‘The Big Gay Musical’ is part of a year-round series of GLBT films that we run here at The Loft,”” said Jeff Yanc, lead programmer of films. “”Whenever it looks like there’s an interesting or fun movie coming out that has a strong GLBT hook, we try and book this for The Loft as part of our ‘Reel Pride’ series.””

Yanc added, “”I had a chance to see the film, and it’s a lot of fun, but with a story that addresses some very real political and cultural issues.””

The film explores such timely issues as HIV, online dating, the emotional toll of promiscuity, religiously conservative attitudes towards homosexuality and a deprogramming camp that tries to turn gay kids straight.

Jai Smith, director of ASUA’s Pride Alliance, spoke on the cultural significance of the film: “”It appears to show that (the homosexual community) can be funny and ridiculous, not just rabble-rousing. The movie looks to be a celebration of the homosexual community.””

With soaring musical numbers and a timely message, audiences from all backgrounds can celebrate together with “”The Big Gay Musical.””