Student Rec. goes green

The expanding Student Recreation Center is taking an environmentally sound approach in its construction, which will break ground Dec. 3.

The center is adopting a standards rating system, Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design, as it increases in size.

LEED buildings have more

It always feels really crowded there, and since they’re doing something about it, they’re obviously listening to what the students want.

– Greg Goodrum,
    regional development junior

sustainable structures, use less energy and are composed of materials harmless to the natural surroundings, said Juliette Moore, director of Campus Rec.

The buildings receive ratings, from bronze to platinum, based on a 69-point system. Structures obtain points based on factors including sustainability (maximum of 14 points), water efficiency (5 points) and environmental quality (15 points).

Once built, the center will achieve silver (33-38 points) LEED status, Moore said.

“”Because of (the center’s) LEED status, students using the rec center can also feel proud knowing that they’re helping the environment,”” she said.

Lorenzo Garza, an anthropology sophomore who often uses the rec center, said he is glad that Campus Rec is being more environmentally conscious.

“”With places like the rec center going green, it’s nice to see that they’re focused on the long-term future, being more energy efficient,”” Garza said.

The expansion includes a multi-purpose activity court, which Moore calls “”state of the art,”” that will be available for sports such as basketball, soccer and hockey.

Also receiving extra development is the center’s Outdoor Adventures office, which will move to East Seventh Street in early October, Moore said.

Slated for completion by May 2009, the expansion will also include a 30,000-square-foot weight room, as well as a 6,000-square-foot cardio room.

Development will increase the overall space to 115,000 square feet from 80,000 square feet, Moore said.

Because of the increase in space, students should no longer have to wait in lines or deal with crowded areas, Moore said.

“”This is a nice plus for the students,”” Moore said. “”Students will enjoy the new space, and I think they are just going to be overwhelmed.””

Architecture junior Carlos Vasquez acknowleged that the rec center is “”kind of crowded sometimes, but some parts (of the rec center) are also pretty disorganized.

“”Looking at the new plans, it looks like they’re also keeping that in mind,”” he added. “”It looks pretty good all around.””

Regional development junior Greg Goodrum said he is “”pretty excited”” about the expansion plans he’s seen.

“”It always feels really crowded there, and since they’re doing something about it, they’re obviously listening to what the students want,”” he said.

The expansion is more than just a physical facelift, said Colleen Morgan, UA facilities project manager. It will also make students more comfortable knowing that they have an adequate rec center to use.

The addition is a necessary one since, as the university grows, the rec center should grow with it, Moore said.

“”We are very pleased with the change of character of the rec center,”” Morgan said. “”Everything is right on schedule.””