Presidential anthems: A rundown on the walk-up songs of the remaining candidates

As much as many would like to believe political races are all about politics, branding is just as important to win that seat in the oval office. President Barack Obama’s “Yes We Can” set a fire through his supporters and no one can look at an “H” and an arrow without thinking about Hillary Clinton’s current campaign. Just like major-league baseball players heading to bat, every presidential candidate has a walk-up song.

Bernie Sanders

Sanders is quite possibly the candidate with the best branding. His walk up song is “Disco Inferno” by The Trammps because of its repeating “B[e]rn Baby B[e]rn.” The song reinforces his supporters “feeling the Bern” and sets in stone the idea that supporting him is setting a fire for a political revolution.

Hillary Clinton

Clinton’s current campaign is all about branding her femininity, drilling in the fact that, if elected, she would be the first woman president. Clinton jams out to “I’m Every Woman” by Chaka Khan as her walk-up song. Just like every candidate this election, Clinton has attempted to separate herself from the political establishment, and utilizing her womanhood is her best shot to do so.

Donald Trump

Trump has faced obstacles with his walk-up song. When he first announced his candidacy, Trump used “Rockin’ in the Free World” by Neil Young, a well-known liberal activist who was not happy with his music being used to support Trump. Young demanded Trump stop playing his music before offering it up to Sanders for use. Later, Trump tried to use Adele’s “Rolling in the Deep” and “Skyfall”, only to have her demand Trump stop using her songs. R.E.M. and Aerosmith also joined the ranks in denying Trump access to their music. At his rally in Tucson, Trump walked-up to “Space Jam” by Quad City DJs.

Ted Cruz

Cruz wears cowboy boots and talks about his country roots, so it’s no surprise that he continues his country branding with “Wave on Wave” by Pat Green. The song was also used by George W. Bush in his re-election campaign—a safe choice for the Republican candidate.

John Kasich

Kasich is currently using “Stressed Out” by Twenty One Pilots, which couldn’t describe his campaign better. Kasich received less votes in Arizona than Marco Rubio, who had already dropped out of the race by the Arizona primary. While not a great branding technique, it might be Kasich’s way of reaching out to young voters.

Follow Christianna Silva on Twitter