2007 Voter Guide

Mayor

Bob Walkup

Party: Republican

Walkup, an Iowa native and current mayor of Tucson, was elected for his first term in 1999, then again in 2003. Walkup holds a Bachelor of Science in industrial engineering from Iowa State University and worked for 35 years as an executive and engineer for various companies. Walkup serves on numerous boards, including the Pima Association of Governments’ Regional Council, the Regional Transportation Authority Governing Board and the Tucson Regional Economic Opportunities Board. Walkup is currently chairman of the National Association of State Fire Marshals’ Pipeline Safety Community Advisory Committee.

– from Walkup’s profile on the City of Tucson Web site

Dave Croteau

Party: Green

Croteau, born in St. Cloud, Minn., currently works for the Means Design and Building Corporation. He attended Pima Community College for two years. Croteau has served on many committees, including the City of Tucson’s Davis-Monthan Noise Task Force, the City of Tucson Small Business Commission and as chairman of the Campus Community Relations Committee for one term. Croteau’s issues include environmental sustainability, controlling city growth, improving neighborhoods and creating community, improving public transportation, and improving the local economy by supporting local businesses.

– from Davecroteau4mayor.com

Ward 1

Regina Romero

Party: Democrat

Romero, a Southern Arizona native, graduated from the UA in 2000 with a degree in communication. Romero worked as the Pima County youth internship coordinator from 1996-2000. Romero served as the Pima County program coordinator for neighborhood reinvestment from 2000-2005. Romero has worked as an aide to Tucson City Councilwoman Karin Uhlich. Romero co-founded the Arizona César Chávez Holiday Coalition and Las Adelitas, a grassroots organization united to improve the quality of life for Latinas and their families through political empowerment. She is a member of the board of directors of the Southern Arizona Center Against Sexual Assault. She was nominated for the YWCA Women on the Move Award in 2004. Romero’s campaign focuses investing in neighborhoods and parks, improving safety in the community, investing in seniors and youth, creating a Downtown for everyone, and accountable use of tax dollars.

– from http://votereginaromero.com/index.html

Beryl Baker

Party: Green

Baker, a Southern Arizona native, holds three associate degrees and has done some university work. She has work experience in various fields, from alfalfa farming to youth programs. Baker is a founding member of the Santa Cruz South West Neighborhood Association and the Desert Voices Coalition. She has participated with the Storm Water Management Study Committee for 15 years and the Neighborhood Infill Coalition. Baker’s platform includes creating a safe community, planned growth of the city, funding for fire and police, protecting lands, sustainability in water and land resources, lessening road congestion, a fiscally conservative and transparent City Council, and re-planning Rio Nuevo.

– from – from http://electberylbaker.tripod.com

Ward 2

Rodney Glassman

Party: Democrat

Glassman, a California native, graduated from the UA in 1997 with a Bachelor of Science in agricultural economics, earned his MBA and a Master of Public Administration from the Eller College of Management, and earned a doctoral degree in arid land resource sciences from the UA in 2005. Glassman worked as a legislative aide on business and agricultural issues to Congressman Raul Grijalva in 2003 and was general manager of Gateway Ice Center. Glassman, an Eagle Scout, created the Glassman Foundation, which donates to nonprofit organizations that serve children. Glassman is a member of the Arizona State Farm Bureau, the Crime Prevention Council, the Jewish Federation of Southern Arizona, the Associate Board of the Boys and Girls Club of Tucson, and the American Heart Association’s Southern Arizona chapter, among other organizations. Glassman opposes Proposition 200.

– from http://www.rodneyglassman.com

Lori Oien

Party: Republican

Oien, who hails from Tucson, graduated from the UA with a degree in interior design. Oien worked for Ethan Allen for 14 years as an interior designer and serves as chair of the City of Tucson Magistrate Merit Selection Commission, president of the Bear Canyon Neighborhood Association, is the organizer and founder of Collier Safety Day, a member of the Legislative Subcommittee of the Governor’s Highway Traffic Safety Council, secretary of Southern Arizona DUI Task Force, founder of the Southern Arizona DUI Alliance, and a volunteer for the Black Stallion Literacy Program. Oien’s campaign platform includes improvements to first-responder services, better use of tax dollars and more efficiency in the Tucson government.

-from http://www.lorioiencitycouncil.com/index.html

Ward 4

Shirley C. Scott

Party: Democrat

Scott, the current Ward 4 councilwoman, holds a bachelor’s degree from Drew University and a master’s in Germanic languages and literature from the University of Cincinnati. Scott is a member of the Pima Prevention Partnership, the Board of Directors of Pima Council on Aging and a member of the Advisory Committee for Tucson Clean and Beautiful. Scott has also served on the Budget Advisory Committee and as Chairperson of the National League of Cities Committee on Community and Economic Development. Scott was elected in December 2005 to serve as a member of the National League of Cities Board of Directors. Scott is a member of the subcommittees for Children, Families and Seniors, Transportation, and Economic and Workforce Development.

– from http://www.ci.tucson.az.us/wardfour.html

Daniel L. Spahr

Party: Republican

Spahr, born in Dayton, Ohio, holds a Bachelor of Arts in business administration from the University of Cincinnati. Spahr is an estate planner and has worked in the insurance and investment industries. Spahr holds licenses from insurance and investment industry schools, including a NASD Series 6 and Variable Annuities, Life, Health and P&C licenses. Spahr is a board member for Civitan, an organization that works to find a cure for child developmental disabilities. His campaign issues include water conservation, crime and safety in the community, intergovernmental overlap, and transportation.

– from http://www.danspahr2007.com/index.html

Prop. 100

Prop. 100 would increase the salary for Tucson’s mayor to $4,000 per month from $3,500 and the salaries of City Council members to $3,000 per month from $2,000. The Citizen’s Commission on Public Service made these recommendations, arguing that salary increases in salary will allow more people to consider running for office, that elected officials work more than 40 hours per week, that the officials’ salaries should match the average Tucson citizen’s salary and that the salaries should be adjusted for inflation. This issue is on the city ballot for the fifth consecutive election. The last time voters approved a pay raise was in 1999.

Supporters think salary increases will bring in better candidates, while critics say a pay increase won’t guarantee better candidates; some opponents argue that the Council has done little to deserve a raise.

Prop. 200

The “”Tucson Water Users Bill of Rights,”” authored by former state lawmaker John Kromko, has received its fair share of criticism, including that from Tucson Water, which thinks the proposition puts severe limits on Tucson’s water supply. Despite this, supporters say Prop. 200 brings necessary dialogue about Tucson’s long-range water plan and will help solve the issues related to growth and water.

One of the biggest points of debate about Prop. 200 is its repeal of the city’s $14-per-month residential environmental services fee, which was implemented in June 2004. This fee generates approximately $23 million per year that funds the city’s environmental services activities, which include the collecting of landfill refuse, cleaning up groundwater and recycling. If this fee is repealed, the city would need to find other methods of paying for these services, like reallocating funds from other departments.

The repeal would also require the city to maintain residential solid waste services and prevent it from creating any taxing district or increasing sales tax to raise revenue for garbage collection service or water services.

– This information compiled in part from the the Voter Guide released by the City Clerk’s Office

When do I vote?

Voting is today from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Who can vote?

You must have been a resident of the City of Tucson since Oct. 7, be registered to vote on or before Oct. 8 and be at least 18 years old today.

What do I need to bring?

Proof of identification is required at all polls. Visit http://www.ci.tucson.az.us/clerks/pdf/CIY_english.pdf for a list of appropriate ID.

Where can I vote?

Find your polling place online at http://www.tucsonaz.gov/clerks/ wheretovote.php, or call the city clerk at 791-4213.