Police Beat: Nov. 7

Hard liquor equals hard night

A University of Arizona Police Department officer went to Villa del Puente Residence Hall at 1:20 a.m. on Tuesday in response to a call about an intoxicated woman. The woman had been vomiting and Tucson Fire Department medics treated her at the scene. The woman had red, watery eyes. She also had trouble balancing and was slurring her words. She told the officer she had been at a party off campus and drank three shots of hard liquor. She said she did not know the address of the house or who gave her the alcohol. The woman was cited and released for minor in possession of alcohol in body.

What goes down, must come up

A UAPD officer went to Manzanita-Mohave Residence Hall around 1:30 a.m. on Tuesday in response to an intoxicated woman. She told the officer she was having trouble finding her room. She had red, watery eyes, slurred speech and a strong smell of alcohol coming from her mouth. TFD paramedics treated her at the scene. The woman told them she had not had any drugs, but drank numerous shots of liquor and some beer. She would not say where she drank or who gave her the alcohol. The officer asked the woman if she had vomited and she said yes, she had thrown up in the elevator and the fifth floor women’s restroom. She was cited and released for minor in possession of alcohol in body. A resident assistant walked the woman to her room.

Attempted theft foiled

A UAPD officer went to the Gould-Simpson building on Tuesday in response to a man who appeared to be around 50 years old and was trying to steal a bike. The witness said the man wore a black baseball cap, a gray hooded sweatshirt and he was carrying bolt cutters and a small black travel case. Another officer reported he had seen the subject near South Hall. The officer went to the area and found the man matching the description. The officer asked the man to give him the pliers he was holding, which he did. The man said he had intended to steal a bike. He found one secured to the bike rack at the Gould-Simpson building with a cable lock, but he was unable to cut the lock with the pliers. He said he saw a woman watching him so he left. The man showed the officer which bike he had tried to steal. The cable lock had a deep cut in it but was still usable.

The officer arrested the man for attempted theft and booked him into Pima County Jail. The officer left a note on the bike the man attempted to steal and was contacted a few hours later by the owner. The officer explained to the woman what had happened. She said she wanted to participate in the prosecution.