Police Beat

Magazine seller cited for marijuana possession

A man was cited and released for drug and alcohol charges on Jan. 21 at 12:07 a.m.

While on patrol near Park Avenue and Seventh Street, a police officer noticed three men sitting on the northwest corner of the intersection with what appeared to be beer cans.

The officer made contact with the men and one of them quickly put down a can. None of the men were affiliated with the UA. The officer then asked the men if they lived in the house they were sitting next to; they said they did not. Among the men there were cans of 16 ounce Coors Light beer.

The officer asked the men if they had anything illegal on them. Two of the men said no, but the third told the officer that he had “”some weed.”” He gave the officer permission to get the marijuana out of his pocket as he stood up and put his hands on his head. The officer reached in the man’s pocket and removed a baggie with a small amount of marijuana in it. The man also told the officer that he had some rolling papers in another pocket. He allowed the officer to remove these.

The officer informed the man that he had seen him drinking from a beer can. The man replied, “”Yeah, me and my friends were just taking it easy.”” The opened beer cans were cold to the touch and contained half of their contents.

The officer asked the men why they were on the UA campus. They said that they normally go around selling magazine subscriptions, but decided not to work today. They were advised that they could not sell the subscriptions on campus without permission from the Dean of Students. The man who admitted to having marijuana was cited and released for possession of marijuana, possession of drug paraphernalia, and drinking in public.

Man leaves hygiene products, ID on park bench

A grounds service employee turned in several items to the police Jan. 21 at 10:26 a.m.

The employee found four items belonging to one man on a park bench near Mabel Street and Martin Avenue. The property was taken to the UAPD station. The items included an ID for contract work, a small tube of Colgate toothpaste, hemorrhoid cream, and one container of hemorrhoid pads. Police disposed of all items except for the ID. The man was contacted.

Hallucinating man arrested for previous warrants

A man was arrested and given an exclusionary order Jan. 22 at 4:03 p.m.

Police responded to the UA Main Library in reference to a disturbance. When they arrived they made contact with the reporting party who said that a man had walked into the library and was cursing out loud and disturbing the students who were trying to study. The reporting party pointed the man out to police.

Police made contact with the man. A records check showed that he had three Tucson Police Department misdemeanor warrants out for his arrest and one UAPD misdemeanor warrant out for his arrest. The warrants were confirmed and the man was placed under arrest.

He told officers that he knew he was not supposed to be in the library, but said that he only came inside to get out of the rain and to “”get away from the demons”” that were talking to him.

The man also had a missing person’s flag on his record from TPD. A notification was sent to TPD alerting them that he had been found.

The man was taken to the Pima County Jail and booked for his warrants. He was also given an exclusionary order which prohibits him from being on any UA controlled, rented, or owned property.

Man arrested for driving on suspended license

Two men were arrested after being pulled over for a traffic stop Jan. 23 at 9:25 p.m.

While on patrol near Speedway Boulevard and Mountain Avenue, an officer observed a car speeding at 45 mph. The officer conducted a traffic stop of the vehicle near Cherry Avenue and Speedway Boulevard. The officer asked for identification for all people in the car. The driver identified himself verbally and told the officer that he did not have any identification or a driver’s license on him. He said that he was “”not in a lot of trouble.””

A warrant check showed that the man had a suspended license, but the date of birth the man had given them did not match the one in the system. The officers asked him again for his date of birth, and he gave them one that did not match again. When they asked him for his social security number, he said he did not know it.

Police ran the names of the passengers in the car. The two women had no warrants. The other man had a warrant from Pima County Sherriff’s Office for domestic violence. He was taken into custody.

The driver was arrested for driving on a suspended license and false reporting. While police were working on the paper work to impound the car, it was discovered that the driver did not fit the identity which he gave the officers. He had given officers his brother’s name instead of his own. A check of his name showed warrants for obstructing a court order, vehicle theft, criminal speeding, and driving on a suspended license.

Both men were taken to Pima County Jail. The driver was booked for false reporting to law enforcement, driving on a suspended license, failure to produce identification and his warrants. The passenger was booked for his warrant and vehicle was impounded for a mandatory 30 days.