This week in Wildcat history

On July 18, 1974, the Arizona Summer Wildcat reported that a cancer-detecting bra had been developed by the University Medical Center’s cancer treatment division. The bra, which was equipped with temperature measuring devices called thermistors, was tested on a group of 120 women. The initial estimated cost of the bra was $50.

On July 18, 1978, the Wildcat reported that UA dorms had been overbooked for the upcoming fall semester. At the time, the university had 27 residence halls which housed a total of 4,800 single students and two complexes for married students, which housed 1,300 students and their families. The most expensive dorms at the time were $570 per year.

On July 19, 1988, the Wildcat reported that all university employees were set to get a 2 percent pay raise if their performances were deemed adequate. Classified employees were to receive a 3.5 percent salary increase as long as their superiors declared their work satisfactory. The Arizona Board of Regents distributed $5.26 million in salary during the fiscal year.

On July 19, 1995, the Wildcat reported that there had already been more than five burglaries throughout the summer involving the dismantling of computers and theft of internal parts. The loss of one computer system was valued at $25,000 at the time.

On July 17, 1996, the Wildcat reported that then-UA assistant men’s basketball coach Phillip Johnson had been arrested July 4 on charges of criminal damage, threats and intimidation, assault committed and false reporting to law enforcement.

– compiled by Lance Madden