EDITORIAL: Let the Wildcat be your guide

Sofia Moraga
Old Main was the first building constructed on the University of Arizona campus.

Click here to read more content from our 2018 Orientation Guide!  

The Daily Wildcat wants to welcome all incoming freshmen and their families, and let you know we’re here for you. Whether you are looking for important updates on news or events happening on campus, or the latest on your favorite University of Arizona athletes, we have you covered.

Our staff is made up of students, just like you. From freshmen to seniors and even grad students, our paper is run by the same people you will sit next to in class or walk past on the UA Mall. We are studying for tests and making weekend plans like any other student.

There’s a lot going on here at the UA, so much so that our talented reporters, photographers and editors can’t possibly cover it all. But wherever there is something happening that we think you should know about, we will do our best to be there.

You can join us if you like, too, even if you have never considered working in journalism before. We do a lot more than just write stories; video, audio, web, social media, design, management, sales, marketing, accounting and many more skills can be learned in student media. 

We will be having a hiring fair soon and encourage anyone with an interest to come check us out.

But if talking with future NBA players, business leaders, politicians or scientists working on groundbreaking research doesn’t sound like your cup of tea, we hope you will at least continue to read or visit us online after this issue, so you can see the results the next time one of our reporters interviews a TV star, famous poet or potential Heisman Trophy candidate.

Over the past year, a lot has changed at the UA. We got a new university president, Dr. Robert Robbins, who has led a one-man campaign to improve the image of his office on campus after controversy surrounded the administration of his predecessor, Ann Weaver Hart.

The UA Athletics department has been in turmoil after the release of football coach Rich Rodriguez following harassment allegations, the conviction of former track and field assistatant coach Craig Carter on assault charges and the arrest of assistant basketball coach Book Richardson on bribery charges.

The university is also embroiled in several lawsuits ranging from equal pay disputes to its handling of sexual harassment and other misconduct.

But not all the news on campus has been bad. Following the firing of Rodriguez, the UA brought in Kevin Sumlin, the first African American to head the football program, who has already started earning a reputation of outreach and cooperation since arriving this spring.

Furthermore, the university continues to be a leading institution for important research and development, and just recently conferred thousands of graduates with degrees once again, affirming they are ready to contribute to their chosen fields, as well as the economy.

And UA athletes continue to display top levels of competitive prowess no matter what court, field or other venue they appear on.

For the next several years, Tucson and the UA campus looks to be your home. Whether you are from the area, across the U.S. or you are an have international student, you are welcome here.

The Wildcat intends to be one of many resources on campus to help you navigate the chaotic journey of college and emerge triumphantly with an education and valuable experiences on your resume. Let us be your map as we begin the next step of this journey together.