Police Beat

Man cited for drugs after package tips off RA

A man was cited and released for drug charges Jan. 19 at 11:26 a.m.

Police responded to the Navajo Residence Hall in reference to the odor of marijuana being emitted from a recently delivered Fed-Ex package.

Police made contact with the desk assistant who said she noticed the smell after the package was delivered. Police recognized the odor of marijuana. The man to whom the package was addressed came by a short time later, retrieved his package, and began to walk back to his room.

Police made contact with the man and asked him about the package. He said he did not know who it was from or what it contained. The man then opened the package and said, “”Now I know what this is.”” When asked what it was, he responded, “”weed.”” He said he did not know why the package was sent to him, and he did not know the sender. The man admitted to being from the same city the package was mailed from. He also told police that he does smoke marijuana and the last time he smoked had been two days ago. He told them he smoked out of a pipe that was in his room. Police asked him to take them to his room so they could confiscate the pipe.

Police then asked the man if there was anything else in the room. The man became nervous and began stuttering his speech before saying “”no.”” He then blocked the doorway to the room. Police asked him again if there was anything else in the room, to which he replied, “”Yea, I think so.”” The man allowed police to enter. He opened his desk drawer and produced a second glass pipe with marijuana residue.

While questioning the man, one of the officers noticed another Fed-Ex envelope in plain view in a trash can that was similar to the one the man had just received. The sending address was also the same as the one the man had just received.

When asked about the envelope, the man said he received it on Jan. 14. It had contained approximately an ounce of marijuana that cost him $200. When asked where the marijuana was, the man said that he smoked it two days ago with his friends, who he refused to identify. He still denied knowing the sender.

While searching the man’s room, police also found a pill bottle with five Adderall pills, one and a half Oxycodone pills, one Hydrocodone pill, a baggie with marijuana stems, two empty baggies that had an odor of marijuana, a silver box with a silver colored marijuana grinder with residue in it, a Zippo lighter in a box with marijuana plant stems, an ashtray with marijuana residue in it, an air tight Click-Clack container with marijuana residue, a small scale, two shot glasses, a cigar box, five flasks and a hunting knife with a four inch blade.

Police asked the man what the scale was for. He said that he used it to make sure that his packages/orders were the proper weight when he got them. When asked if he used the scale to measure out portions to sell, the man replied, “”No, I don’t sell it.”” The man was then asked about the pills. He told officers that they had been prescribed to him in the past, but he did not have any current subscriptions. He added that he consistently uses the Adderall because it is “”good for school”” and “”keeps you awake.”” He said they are a habit.

The man was cited and released for possession of marijuana, possession of drug paraphernalia and possession/use of unauthorized prescription drugs. He was also referred to the Dean of Students Office. The items that contained marijuana were confiscated. Poison control was called to verify the pills as controlled substances. The flasks and shot glasses were turned over to the Community Director and will be addressed by Residence Life. The knife was placed into safekeeping. The man said he would ship it home after he retrieves it from the police. Police also decided to follow up on the man in case he received any additional shipments.

Man damages new book to make it look used

A man was cited and released for shoplifting and criminal damage Jan. 20 at 8:12 p.m.

Police responded to the UofA Bookstore in reference to a shoplifter in custody. Store security told cops that they saw a man take a “”used”” book sticker off of a used book. The man then “”beat up”” a new book to make it look used. Police saw the book and noticed that the cover was bent and wrinkled. Some of the pages were also wrinkled and had small tears on them.

Police made contact with the man. He said that he put the used sticker on a new book so that he could get it for a cheaper cost. He said he bent the book and crumpled some of the pages so it appeared to be used. The man said he did not know why he did it, because he had enough money to pay for the new book.

The man was cited and released for shoplifting and criminal damage. He was also referred to the Dean of Students Office.