Volleyball drops first conference game

The Arizona volleyball team fell to No. 5 UCLA last night in Pauley Pavilion in the teams’ Pacific 10 Conference opener.

“”I think Arizona played well,”” said UCLA head coach Andy Banachowski. “”This is our first time in Pauley, and it showed. We didn’t serve and pass well, it took us a while to get used to us in here. But it’s good to be home.””

After Arizona (10-3, 0-1 Pac-10) won the first game 30-27, the Bruins won the next three by scores of 33-31, 30-19 and 30-27.

Outside hitter Tiffany Owens led the attack for the Wildcats with 14 kills on a .154 hitting percentage. Middle blocker Dominique Lamb and opposite hitter Randy Goodenough each chipped in 10 kills.

Though she had a double-double by adding 10 digs, Goodenough had as many errors, giving her a .000 hitting percentage in the match.

The Bruins (11-1, 1-0) had a .203 hitting percentage over the four games. The Wildcats were held to a .157 mark.

After leading 12-7 in the fourth game, Arizona rallied to cut the lead to 13-12. The Wildcats tied the game at 16 and took a
    26-24 lead, but they couldn’t hold on.

Arguably the most productive Arizona player was freshman setter Paige Weber. She posted five kills on .571 hitting, 47 assists, eight digs, three blocks and a service ace.

“”They do have a good setter and they’ll be in good shape with her,”” Banachowski said of Weber. “”Arizona is in good hands with her.””

The Wildcats play No. 4 USC in the Galen Center tonight at 7.

The Women of Troy (11-0, 1-0) swept ASU last night in an hour and a half. Freshman outside hitter Kimmee Rolder led the way with 18 kills on .469 hitting.

The Wildcats remain confident in themselves as they square up against a top-five team for the second straight night.

“”We’ve been through lot of situations where we’ve won or lost a four- or five-game match, and there’s not much left in the tank,”” said UA head coach Dave Rubio, who has an 8-22 record against USC. “”That’s when you just have to play on guts.””