Regents accept differential fees

The Arizona Board of Regents approved a differential tuition fee of $1,250 for the James E. Rogers College of Law that will affect incoming students but not those currently enrolled.

An average of 155 students enter the College of Law annually, according to regents’ notes. Three years after the fee takes effect in spring 2007, the cumulative amount collected from differential tuition would total $36,000, with an average of $12,000 generated annually.

Provost George Davis said the extra dollars accumulated from differential tuition will allow the College of Law to better recruit faculty and operate more smoothly.

The proposal passed with a 7-3 vote.

Regents unanimously approved proposals that increase or develop additional costs for specific classes.

Beginning in the spring 2007, students enrolled in ecology and evolutionary biology 485 or 585 will pay a course fee of $125, up $100 from the existing fee.

The program fee for the executive master’s of business administration program, a 14-month intensive course that is part of the Eller College of Management, likewise increased from $47,500 to $50,000.

The increase reflects a program that is growing in cost and popularity. The fee includes a new notebook computer for each enrolled student and covers the cost of hotel stays associated with the class, which meets every other Friday and Saturday, according to regents’ notes.

The Mel and Enid Zuckerman College of Public Health will have a $2,000 fee in the 2007-08 fiscal year for its graduate doctor of public health program.