emTunes

Here are some great songs for your Independence Day bash:

“”The Remedy”” by Jason Mraz
    Not only does this song mention fireworks as well as the Fourth of July – signs that it’s perfect for this playlist – but it also has Mraz’s laidback feel that’s perfect for any kind of summer shindig. While it’s faintly patriotic, it’s also languid with its “”I won’t worry my life away.”” In the midst of a much-needed carefree summer, who would be better to sing about it than Mraz?

“”Summertime”” by Sublime
    Reggae music in the summer is a must. There’s just something about reggae that automatically associates it with the beach and summer. This song has all the sounds of summer compressed into one remixed song from the 1930s. While the static and vibraphone add a funky flair to the song, it still has this Jamaican easy-going feel to it. It’s summertime, so make the living easy.

“”This Land is Your Land”” by Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings
    This is not the version you sang in elementary school. While folk singers have mainly covered this song, notably Pete Seeger and The Kingston Trio, Jones & the Dap-Kings deliver a funky and soulful feel to this Woody Guthrie original. They even preserve the two verses about private property and welfare , reminding us that even in the land of the free, all is not as it should be.

“”American Girl”” by Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
    This song, clean and straightforward, lures its listeners into clapping along with the beat. It’s hard to resist its charm: the strumming guitars clue you in to the fact that this is going to be a fun song. There’s no way you can listen to it without moving a limb or two. The vocals, reminiscent of Bob Dylan, add to the song’s appeal, giving it a hippie flair.

“”Boys of Summer”” by The Ataris
    This song is an ideal version of an updated Don Henley classic from your parents’ era. It’s the best of both worlds. This adaptation is a little bit more upbeat than its counterpart, but still has that dance party feel. This song is a guarantee to get the party started; you will surely catch everyone, from parents to friends, singing along.