Police Beat

A man was arrested for possession of drug paraphernalia in a men’s restroom in the Manuel Pacheco Integrated Learning Center, 1500 E. University Blvd., Jan. 2, reports stated.

A police officer saw a man in the last stall in the restroom while searching for a suspicious person in the ILC, but the man was not urinating. The police officer waited for the man to leave the restroom but went back in after five minutes.

The officer suspected the man was doing drugs and asked the man for his name and birth date. The man then dropped a plastic plunger cap from a syringe on the floor.

The officer opened the unlocked stall and handcuffed the man.

An empty soda can, plastic baggie, syringe, needle cap and a jacket were found in the stall.

The man told police he had just gotten paid and bought methamphetamines. He came to the UA to check his e-mail, and he wanted a fix, so he went to the restroom. The man had used all of the meth.

The man was cited and released for possession of drug paraphernalia.

Two attempted thefts of vehicles were reported Jan. 2, reports stated.

An unknown person tried to break into an SUV at parking lot 4052, 1051 N. Vine Ave., and damaged the driver’s and front passenger’s door locks between 9:40 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. .

The vehicle’s owner called police at 12:30 p.m. to report the damage. There were pry marks on both locks, but nothing was stolen from the SUV.

An attempted theft of a truck was reported at 12:50 p.m. at the Arid LandsStudies building, 1955 E. Sixth St.

The truck’s owner told police someone broke into the vehicle between 7 a.m. and 12:50 p.m.

There was damage to the driver’s and front passenger’s door locks and the steering column was cracked. Nothing was stolen from the truck.

No fingerprints were found on either vehicle.

Two fire extinguishers were stolen from the Babcock Building, 1717 E. Speedway Blvd., between 11 a.m. and noon Jan. 2, reports stated.

The glass panes that encased the fire extinguishers in a wall vault were shattered.

A UA employee reported the theft and contacted Campus Fire Safety to replace the extinguishers.

Police have no suspects or witnesses.

A man was arrested for driving under the influence Jan. 3, reports stated.

An officer saw a car turn right onto Campbell Avenue from Speedway Boulevard at 4:21 a.m. without signaling, and the car was swerving in and out of lanes.

The driver stopped for the officer at Campbell Avenue and Elm Street. When the officer walked up to the car and tapped on the driver’s window the driver accelerated and drove away but stopped again about 50 feet away.

The officer told the man to remove his keys and the man gave them to the officer. The driver gave the officer his registration and proof of insurance, but stared straight ahead when the officer asked for the man’s license.

The officer asked if the man spoke English and he did not answer, but instead gave the officer an expired passport from Mexico.

More police officers arrived to the scene to translate for the man. He refused to do a “”walk and turn test”” or a “”one-legged turn test”” but agreed to a breathalyzer test.

The man’s blood-alcohol content was .219. He was booked into Pima County Jail.

A UA employee reported a suspicious envelope addressed to the American Indian Studies department at 11:12 a.m. Jan. 3.

She told police the letter was addressed to the department’s old room address in the Harvill Building, 1103 E. Second St., and came from an unknown sender.

The envelope was postmarked from Long Island, New York, and the envelope referenced “”white scum”” and was addressed to “”white ethics research.””

Police had an employee in hazardous materials open the envelope.

The first page of “”Real Estate/Business”” from “”The Suffolk Times”” was inside the envelope. No writing or references to the UA or the American Indian Studies department was found on the page.

The employee reported a similar incident in December. She didn’t know of anyone who might have sent the letter.

Police Beat is compiled from official University of Arizona Police Department reports. For a complete list of UAPD activity, the daily resume can be found at http://www.uapd.arizona.edu