Medicine dean to retire

Dr. Keith Joiner will resign from his position as dean of the UA College of Medicine and Vice Provost for Medical Affairs as of July 15, according to a memo sent by Joiner to College of Medicine faculty members.

“”In the four and a half years I have been in the position, it has been a pleasure to work with all of you to move this College of Medicine forward,”” Joiner said in his letter. “”The accomplishments during that period are substantial, and ones for which we can all be very proud.””

In his letter, Joiner went on to describe the satisfaction he has felt in seeing an abundance of thriving endeavors during his time as dean of the college, such as a new four-year program at the College of Medicine in Phoenix – a joint venture with Arizona State University – as well as new, updated curriculum for programs in Tucson such as ArizonaMed.

Joiner continued to list other accomplishments made by the College of Medicine: 55 new “”tenure-track”” faculty members with a 200-person faculty increase as of 2004, 11 new heads of department, along with eight new program directors.

In an additional press release, President Robert Shelton expressed his reaction toward Joiner’s resignation.

“”We are most grateful for the good work and hard decisions that Keith Joiner has brought to his tenure as dean,”” Shelton said. “”He has made important improvements to the college and to advancing health care in our community.””

While a permanent replacement has not yet been decided following Joiner’s resignation, Dr. Steve Goldschmid, head of the department of medicine, will act as interim dean to the College of Medicine in Tucson.

The press release also noted some of the structural changes to occur to UA Health Sciences, including new positions like the Vice President for Health Affairs, a project currently being overseen by provost Meredith Hay. Hay has also appointed a review committee to meet with finalists for the position.

Joiner will “”return to his professional interests as a physician scientist.”” Joiner will direct Health Research Alliance Arizona, a program connecting universities, hospitals and community clinics.

“”This initiative provides a perfect venue for me to link my skills and interests at the intersection of research and education,”” Joiner said. “”I will also be working with the university and college administration to determine ways in which I can be helpful with continuing to make this a great college of medicine.””