Fraternity receives award

After receiving a bad review from its national fraternity five years ago, the Kappa Alpha fraternity reevaluated its membership and received a chapter excellence award from its national headquarters on Saturday.

At a regional Province Council, a Kappa Alpha convention, the fraternity was awarded with the Ammen Award for chapter excellence.

Recipients of the award are chosen based on performance in categories such as philanthropy, education, community service, social programs and involvement in campus activities, said Robert Rothstein, president of the fraternity.

Only the top 10 percent of the 128 chapters of the organization receive the prestigious award, said former president Eli Cohen.

“”This award recognizes the chapter’s commitment to excellence, involvement and establishing partnerships inside and outside of the university community to promote the many positive aspects of the greek system.

I feel it was much deserved that we were an award-winning chapter, and it will encourage us to further take an active roll in the community.

-Robert Rothstein,
    Kappa Alpha president

I am pleased to see their hard work rewarded at a national level,”” said Brian A. Seastone, alumnus adviser and commander at the University of Arizona Police Department.

Since receiving a bad evaluation in 2001, the fraternity was reduced to 17 members, but in the past three years, it has increased its membership to 70 members, Rothstein said.

The award, which is the fraternity’s second since the evaluation, shows it has realigned itself with the national chapter’s values, he said.

Rothstein said the UA chapter is now one of the strongest in the western part of the nation, but receiving the award shows that it stacks up to other chapters nationwide.

“”I feel it was much deserved that we were an award-winning chapter, and it will encourage us to further take an active role in the community,”” he said.

The Kappa Alpha president said people usually associate the greek system with parties, but there is much more to the organizations than they get credit for.

Cohen, a program development intern for Greek Life, agreed.

“”I’m absolutely humbled by it because it’s a true testament to restoring our credibility and worth of purpose to the fraternal experience,”” he said.

He added that the award is hard to get because every aspect of the organization was evaluated in order to win.

“”It’s a very prestigious award, and it’s a good reflection on our chapter here,”” he said.

Gary Ballinger, Greek Life program coordinator, said Kappa Alpha’s recognition reflects positively on the UA Greek system overall.

“”(Their recognition) speaks highly of them as an organization and the leadership that Kappa Alpha has on campus. This award recognizes the positive steps that they have taken as an organization and is indicative of their past and future success,”” he said.