Three more coed halls planned for fall of 1985

Tuesday, January 22, 1985

The University of Arizona will have three additional coeducational residence halls by the fall of 1985 at an estimated cost to hall residents of $1.2 million.

“”What we wanted to do is mix the population in our residence-hall system, because we have so many women over on the west side of campus and so many men over on the east dies that we wanted to take these particular quadrants and have a better mix of men and women,”” said Cecil R. Taylor, associate dean of students and director of residence life.

The residence halls will become coed building by building, rather than the floor-by-floor plan proposed by the Associated Students of the University of Arizona senator John F. Heigl.

Heigl, working with the Residence Hall Association Advisory Committee, said he submitted a proposal for floor-by-floor coed living to Taylor last month.

He said they would continue to look at the possibility of floor-by-floor living for the fall of 1986 if the building-by-building plan worked out successfully.

“”We feel at this point that (the building-by-building plan) is the most appropriate arrangement we could make without massive facility changes as well as the security would be maintained by having each hall separate,”” Taylor said,

In 1984 rental rates increased by 6 percent to pay for the conversion and another 6 percent increase is proposed for next year, he said.

Manzanita and Mohave halls have served as a model of what is expected of the new coed halls, Taylor said, adding that those halls have been coed for approximately seven years.

“”The relationships that are developed in these particular halls have been very positive,”” Taylor said. “”So, we’re looking naturally for that kind of atmosphere and environment to continue in these other halls that we make the changes in.””

The six halls that will be affected are Arizona, Sonora, Apache, Santa Cruz, Graham and Greenlee. Apache will remain a men’s hall, while Santa Cruz will become a women’s dormitory. These two halls will share a common main-floor lobby.

In addition, while Greenlee will become a women’s hall, Graham will remain a men’s dormitory.

Men and women displaced by the conversions will be transferred to Arizona and Sonora halls, respectively.

“”We’re estimating with last year’s expenses as well as this coming year’s expenses, it’ll (the conversion) be about $1.2 million,”” which would be covered by rent increases for all residence halls, Taylor said.

Apache and Santa Cruz will be “”dressed up,”” he said, adding that the ceilings will be lowered to provide better lighting and painting and work will be done on the corridors and rooms.

Graham and Greenlee also will be painted, he said.

“”Our premise is that it’s a five-year program,”” Taylor said. The plan has already received approval by the RHA advisory committee and the Arizona Board of Regents, he said.