Reggae rocking UA students make up Something Like Seduction

Press+Photo
    Press Photo

The Phoenix-native band members of Something Like Seduction have known each other since their childhood years and spent high school combining their musical talents. Now, in college, it’s a different ballgame of balancing their studies and the art they love.

The band consists of drummer Esteban Obregon, bassist Tyler Cunningham, guitarist Nik Gelo and vocalist Connor Shea.

Last year they performed in their Arizona-Sonora Residence Hall room, but now they have their own practice space downtown where they can jam out and not worry about waking the neighbors.
    Now sophomores at the UA, the members are becoming more involved with the band while also trying to focus on their studies and keeping grades up. With majors like industrial engineering, computer science and business, bio-systems engineering and finance, the stresses of school can sometimes overpower the band.

“It’s pretty tough balancing the two,” Shea said. “I’ll have hours of homework and I get spread a little thin at times, but we definitely always make time for the band, regardless of how busy we are.”

Gelo, as a double major in business and computer science, said the band as a whole is feeling the heat from both their families and school.

“It’ll be tough having no sleep and practicing up to the wee hours of the morning, but we pull through it,” Gelo said.

Not all members of the band find feel pressure on all sides, though.

“My parents are very supportive,” Cunningham said. “My dad is a fellow musician so he knows what’s up.”

Within the past year, Something Like Seduction has released multiple singles, trying to get its name out there.

The band released its first EP, “From the Sun,” in February, which started the ripple effect of singles including “What Hits You First” and, most recently, “The Receiver.” They’re hoping to release another single during winter break.

Something Like Seduction’s sound can be described as a fusion between reggae and rock, differentiating itself from fully reggae-sounding bands like Slightly Stoopid or Rebelution.

“Our biggest band influences are Pepper and The Expendables, our favorite band is Blink-182,” Shea said. “Most of these bands all have more of a rock sound as well, which is why we love them.”

The band has played at local venues, spreading its reggae/rock sound around places like The Hut, The Rock and at Shea and Obregon’s fraternity house, Sigma Chi, in addition to hitting up The Marquee, Pub Rock and Clubhouse in Phoenix.

“Our music is fun and relatable, all just good vibes,” Gelo said. “Were not trying to take ourselves too seriously, just having fun.”

Something Like Seduction plans to continue playing throughout college and come out with more singles, and hopefully someday a feature-length album.

“We have some new songs and music videos coming out within the next couple of months,” Obregon said. “I really want to get our name out around campus.”

The band has big plans for the future, but for right now the four are going to keep hitting the books and playing the music they love.

For more information about the band and its latest song releases, visit its website at somethinglikeseduction.com or its Facebook page,
    facebook.com/slseduction.

Follow us on Twitter @wildcatarts and follow Rachel @RachelCabakoff