Opa! a plate-smashing good time

Tim Glass / Arizona Daily Wildcat
    Tim Glass
    Tim Glass / Arizona Daily Wildcat

Nestled among the restaurants which line north Campbell Avenue is Opa!, a scrumptious and fun Greek eatery. The tiny establishment offers big flavor and a great dining experience. Painted wall-to-wall with murals and sporting deep-sea blue tablecloths, visiting Opa! feels like a mini-vacation. The food and service are good and reliable, and the portions are more than enough for one.

Opa! is perfect for a quick lunch or a full dinner. Although the number of entrees may seem overwhelming, upon taking a closer look, it is easy to see variations of the same core dishes. There are plenty of vegetarian options to go along with the array of meat dishes offered.

During my two visits, I dined on a plethora of Greek classics. Each meal begins with a complimentary appetizer of hummus, tzatziki and warm pita bread. The hummus is a perfect blend of chickpeas and tahini, and the creamy cucumber tzatziki is cooling and sharp at the same time. I started out with a delicious and hearty falafel wrap which came filled to the brim with lettuce, tomato, hummus, feta and tzatziki, which I opted to add in. This was served with a Greek salad on the side, which was coated in a light and flavorful vinaigrette. The amount of food I was served was enough for two people.

During my next visit, I decided to test out the Vegetarian Lover’s Combo, which included dolmades, falafel, hummus, spanakopita, a Greek salad and pita. Each of these traditional dishes was done right. The enormous portion left me with plenty of food for another meal. My dining companion opted for the gyro, which was set up in the exact same way as the falafel wrap with gyro meat subbed in. The juicy blend of meats was cooked to perfection and seasoned perfectly. Overall, the entrees provided a satisfying fix for a Greek craving.

For dessert, the huge portion of baklava is not to be passed up. It is stuffed with walnuts and offers a sticky, honey-sweet end to a Greek meal that did not disappoint. The service was great. Our glasses were always full, and all of our needs were met upon asking. Although the small space became rather loud as people cycled in, it was quite the enjoyable dining experience. Take a break from studying, and have yourself a Mediterranean vacation at Opa!