Spend time exploring off campus

Cyrus Norcross

A student uses their Cat Card to enter a building in 2018. The Cat Card can be used to receive discounts at various places.

While approximately 70% of incoming freshman students live their first year in campus dorms, many off-campus places accommodate other living essentials with student discounts. 

Having a student identification can help off campus too. Here are some businesses near campus that can help you buy essential items at a discount as well as some extra fun places to (safely) visit.

RELATED: Student grocery workers on jobs reopening in Arizona

GROCERIES

Food expenses can add up every month. Student discounts can help lessen your monthly grocery expenses. Fry’s Food and Drug at 555 E. Grant Road is one of many local grocery that offers a 10% off discount for University of Arizona students every Tuesday. By showing your CatCard you can enjoy the perk of being a student at the UA.

LAUNDRY

Doing laundry can be a chore, especially in the middle of a semester. Cool Cat Laundry at 1108 E. Sixth St. can help laundry feel less like a chore. Cool Cat Laundry is a self-serve laundromat located at only a 5 min walking distance from the UA’s Student Recreation Center. This laundromat has a Bear Down and Wildcat vibe that makes students feel welcome and at home. Additionally, Cool Cat Laundry offers a “Super Wednesday Special” ($1.00 top loader) all day. 

RELATED: UA Emergency Services offers 24/7 health care, among other providers

Get ready to renovate your closet, dorm or apartment without burning a hole in your wallet. Goodwill at 300 N. Fourth Ave. is a second-hand store where students can shop good quality hand-me-down clothing, books and household items. By showing a valid student ID, you can get unique and amazing items with a 20% discount in all purchases every day. Due to its proximity to the UA, this Goodwill also offers Wildcat gear at great prices, according to the Goodwill website.

SERVICES

The process of getting ready to move into a college dorm or an apartment can be stressful and expensive. Penske truck rental gives college students a 10% discount on all truck rentals to help simplify the moving process. Additionally, it offers free unlimited miles on one-way moving truck rentals, a flexible truck rental reservation process and 24/7 roadside assistance according to the Penske website. Use the promo code “student,” show your student ID and you will be ready to go.

RELATED:  Campus reentry update: Robbins and Carmona share details on new classroom modalities

With the outbreak of COVID-19 and Arizona as one of the hotspots in the United States, some UA students have left dorms or apartments to go back home to continue the semester remotely. U-Haul is offering a 30 days free self-storage to help students with the moving rush in addition to students impacted by unanticipated schedules and class format changes at their universities. With a valid student ID, college customers can get the free month offer (limited time offer subject to availability).

Students always have something to ship so why not take advantage of having a student ID? FedEx is one of the businesses that offers different types of student discounts that will make your pocket happy.

During the year, students may send documents like transcriptions or letters. FedEx offers a 30% discount on a document with FedEx Envelope or Pak; the perfect discount to ship your documents in a fast and safe way.

The UA has a diverse student community that comes from many parts of the world. FedEx offers a 20% off international priority service on packages (under 150 pounds) worldwide. 

In order to get the student discount, students have to drop-off their shipment in any FedEx station and show a valid student ID. You can pay by cash or credit card.

HISTORIC FOURTH AVENUE

Not sure where you can go for fun yet? Tucson’s Historic Fourth Avenue is a good place to start with its variety of shops and restaurants with great take away food. From flower bouquets to records to fresh pizza, Fourth Avenue has many options in compliance with social distancing guidelines. 

THE LOFT CINEMA

After moving its exclusive programming online due to COVID-19, the Loft Cinema made its art house films and film series available to stream in a few clicks. Some of the Loft Cinema’s film series include: Mondo Mondays (wacky vintage classics) and the new 2020 Sundance Film Festival Shorts Tour straight from the Sundance Film Festival. They also offer student memberships!

Follow Diana Ramos on Twitter