REVIEW: ‘Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire’ was a great tribute to Ivan Reitman

Maddie French
“Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire” is a continuation of the Spengler family’s journey into the paranormal world. Tying together Ghostbuster traditions and new themes, the movie appeals to a wide audience.

The sequel to the positively reviewed “Ghostbusters: Afterlife” was a fun ride and continuation of the Spengler family and their allies which include the older Ghostbusters. While I love “Ghostbusters: Afterlife” a little more than “Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire,” this new film had its perks and downfalls. 

“Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire” felt a little more rushed, specifically the climax where New York City starts to freeze over. I just think there should’ve been more action when it came down to the heroes versus the newest antagonist Garraka.

Maybe a chase scene through New York from the firehouse back to the paranormal research center that Winston Zeddemore (Ernie Hudson) established. A little more time establishing the climax and it playing out would’ve pulled the film together. However, I will say the backstory, as well as the ending, was perfect just the way it was. 

I personally loved the ghost Slimer’s appearance in the film as a subplot. He was never a true villain to the Ghostbusters, just a little bothersome. In fact Slimer was an ally in both animated “Ghostbusters” series. The entire subplot of him versus Trevor Spengler (Finn Wolfhard) was funny among the seriousness of the movies conflict. 

Phoebe Spengler (Mckenna Grace) also has her own hero’s journey that differs from “Ghostbusters: Afterlife,” which was well thought out. She is a smart and willful teenager who does act like an adult but gets treated like a kid. 

Her as well as her family versus Walter Peck (William Atherton), always the antagonist to the Ghostbusters, is a tale as old as time. I liked how the films creators utilized him, though, because besides ghosts being the antagonists, Peck is always against the Ghostbusters and what they stand for, no matter what generation.

I also loved the development of the friendship between Podcast (Logan Kim) and Ray Stantz (Dan Aykroyd) that was shown to have started near the end of “Ghostbusters: Afterlife.” Stantz acts as a mentor and friend to Podcast, allowing him to explore his love of the paranormal. 

The same goes for Gary Grooberson (Paul Rudd) and Callie Spengler (Carrie Coon) as they explore their own romantic relationship that was starting to develop in “Ghostbusters: Afterlife.” 

Overall, this was a fun watch. It still maintains the Ghostbusters’ generational aspects while appealing to a new audience. I only wish Ivan Reitman was around to see it as his son Jason Reitman evolves the franchise. 

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Instagram and Twitter (X)