Police Beat

Police arrested a woman for drinking while intoxicated at the intersection of North Campbell Avenue and East Mabel Street at around 2 a.m. Friday.

The woman stopped at a red light. As a patrol car approached, an officer noticed the light turned green, but the woman did not move for four to five seconds. She also merged into a turn lane without turning on her signal until halfway into the lane.

When the officer pulled over the woman over, the officer noticed there were five other passengers in the car. The officer asked the woman to step out of the vehicle and began questioning her.

She said she was returning from Maloney’s, 213 N. Fourth Ave., and that although she was the designated driver, she had consumed three mixed drinks of Ketel One vodka and soda.

The woman took field sobriety tests and blew into a Breathalyzer, which revealed blood-alcohol contents of 0.169 and 0.172. She was charged with driving while intoxicated and extreme DUI.

After taking the tests, the woman was handcuffed and taken to the University of Arizona Police Department station.

The woman was cited and released to a cab.

An extremely intoxicated male resident of Coronado Residence Hall, 822 E. Fifth St., had to be hospitalized at 12:21 a.m. Friday.

The man was found in the parking lot of Arizona-Sonora Residence Hall, 910 E. Fifth St. He was conscious and vomiting but not very alert. He could give an officer his personal information but not answer any other questions.

A friend of the inebriated man told the officer that they were at a party north of campus and that she found him outside of the house on the curb appearing very drunk. She drove him back to Arizona-Sonora and hoped to walk him back to his room, but he sat down on the curb and began vomiting continuously.

The Tucson Fire Department advised that he be taken to University Medical Center, 1501 N. Campbell Ave., where he was treated for extreme intoxication.

The officer visited the man at UMC and cited him for underage drinking.

A student was arrested for shoplifting at the UofA Bookstore, 1209 E. University Blvd., after being caught on tape putting a book into his backpack at 1:30 p.m. Nov. 7.

Bookstore security had the man in custody on the floor of the paperback section when UAPD arrived.

The man appeared nervous and said, “”I put a book in my bag fully intending to steal it. What is going to happen to me?”” according to reports.

The man told the officer that he had seen someone shoplift recently and thought he could get away with taking the $8 book. The bookstore security manager took a Polaroid of the book, “”The Eight.””

The man was cited for shoplifting and released.

Two male residents of Coronado Residence Hall, 822 E. Fifth St., were diverted to the Dean of Students Office for marijuana violations at 12:45 a.m. Nov. 6.

The resident assistant on the seventh floor contacted police because he smelled the odor of burnt marijuana coming from a room on the floor. He told officers that two men entered the room, and another man entered less than two minutes before the officers’ arrival.

One of the men allowed an officer to enter the room; immediately, the officer smelled burnt marijuana. While talking with the man, the officer noticed a small amount of green, leafy particles and stems that appeared to be marijuana on a desk.

The man said he had no idea what the stuff was and that it was not there when he left for the library earlier. He said he would call UAPD when his roommate returned.

The roommate called police and said he did not smoke marijuana and did not have any marijuana in the room. He added that the third man was left in the room with his three friends.

The third man told officers that his three friends from Seattle, did not go to the UA and did not need to be involved.

He added they did not smoke marijuana and had no idea why the room smelled like marijuana or why particles were found on the desk.

The men consented to have the room searched, but police did not perform a search because more than an hour had passed since their initial visit.

Two of the men were diverted, and the particles were placed into evidence.

Police Beat is compiled from official University of Arizona Police Department reports. A complete list of UAPD activity can be found at http://www.uapd.arizona.edu.