Police Beat: Sept. 15

Trouble outside of Paradise

A University of Arizona Police Department officer was on patrol near Park Avenue and University Boulevard around 1 a.m. on Saturday when he noticed a couple arguing on the sidewalk. The woman was trying to walk away from the man toward University Boulevard when the man got in her way. The officer drove closer to observe the argument. He saw the man put his hands on the woman’s shoulders and shake her back and forth while yelling in her face. The officer got out of the car and ordered the man to sit down. The man identified himself and said that the woman, his girlfriend, had thought he had lied to her about another woman at a party earlier. He said that a woman had come up to him at the party and put her arm around him. His girlfriend saw this and got mad. The man said he had one or two beers at the party. The girlfriend told the officer that her boyfriend had lied to her about what happened at the party and that he yelled to her, “You don’t realize what’s going on at all right now!” She told the officer that her boyfriend had never done anything like this in the past and she was not scared when he did it, only frustrated. “I think he was trying to make me realize what he was saying.” She also admitted to drinking alcohol earlier. The woman said she did not want to press charges due to their relationship. The officer cited the man for assault and minor in possession of alcohol in body and booked him into Pima County Jail. The woman was cited and released at the scene for minor in possession of alcohol in body.

Blinded by the light

A UAPD officer responded to a call at 1 a.m. on Saturday near the Sixth Street Garage to assist another officer with a group of students who had possibly been drinking. The officer spoke with a man who had a strong odor of alcohol coming from his mouth. The man said he was walking from one dorm to another with his friends when police stopped him. He said he had not been drinking. The officer observed that the man had red, watery eyes and other signs of intoxication. The officer asked the man if submitting to a preliminary breath test would prove he had not been drinking. The man replied, “Probably.” The man added that his eyes were likely to show “jerky bounces” because because he wears glasses and his eyes were dilated to get more light. The man was cited and released at the scene for minor in possession of alcohol in body.

Don’t tase me bro

A UAPD officer was flagged down by a driver who said she had witnessed a man walking into traffic on Speedway Boulevard between Mountain Avenue and Cherry Avenue at 2:30 a.m. on Saturday. She said the man appeared to be intoxicated and was not wearing a shirt. On his way to the scene, the officer was flagged down again by two people who said they had seen a man punch out a window of a car and yell at people across the parking lot. The officer found two men and two women near the scene who walked away as the officer approached them. The two men matched the witnesses’ descriptions. The people ignored the officer’s commands to stop. One of the men walked up to the officer repeatedly with his arms out while yelling. The officer warned the man he would use his Taser if he did not back off. The man attempted to run, but the officer grabbed his hand and tried to get him on the ground. The man called the officer a “motherfucker” and the officer handcuffed him. One of the women at the scene identified the man as the one who punched the car. All four subjects had been drinking or had suspended drivers’ licenses. The two men were arrested for intentional vandalism.