Sports Briefs

Cason named Playboy All-American

UA cornerback Antoine Cason was named a preseason All-American by Playboy magazine yesterday, though the entire team roster has yet to be released.

Cason – who is also on the watch list for the 2007 Ronnie Lott Award, given to the nation’s best defensive player – is the first Arizona player recognized by Playboy since tailback Clarence Farmer was honored in 2002.

Other notable Wildcat honorees include defensive end Tedy Bruschi in 1995 and linebacker Ricky Hunley in 1982 and 1983.

Cason, a senior next season, was an all-Pacific 10 Conference selection in 2006 after he led Arizona with three interceptions and was third on the team in tackles with 62.

Coach, swimmers receive Pac-10 honors

Two members of Arizona’s swimming teams and head coach Frank Busch received Pacific 10 Conference laurels yesterday.

Busch collected women’s swimming Coach of the Year honors for the second consecutive year. Junior Lacey Nymeyer was named the women’s Swimmer of the Year, while freshman Jean Basson from the men’s team was named Newcomer of the Year.

After leading the women to a second-place finish – the best in Arizona history – at the NCAA Championships, Busch received his seventh Pac-10 award in 18 years as a UA head coach. He also guided the women’s team to its third ever and second straight Pac-10 title.

The Tucson native Nymeyer saw much success for the women, winning a national title in the 200-yard freestyle event, the first of her collegiate career.

The Pac-10 award is also the first of her career.

Basson was a part of the victorious and record-breaking 800y freestyle relay team that helped the men place third at the Championships.

Former baseball coach inducted into Hall of Fame

Jerry Kindall, who led Arizona to three national championships during his 24 years as head coach, was voted into the College Baseball Hall of Fame yesterday.

Kindall will be part of only the second class selected for the hall, a class that includes Dick Siebert, Kindall’s collegiate coach at Minnesota, and former ASU coach Jim Brock. Two other coaches and six players are also part of the class.

Kindall retired in 1996 as the Wildcats’ all-time leader in wins, with 860. He led Arizona to championships in 1976, 1980 and 1986.

Mowatt rewarded for no-hitter

UA softball junior pitcher Taryne Mowatt earned two weekly awards for her performances Friday and Saturday. USA Softball named Mowatt Co-Player of the Week, and the Pac-10 anointed her Pitcher of the Week.

She threw a no-hitter on Friday against ASU while striking out 11 Sun Devils and carried a perfect game into the sixth inning in Arizona’s 1-0 win. On Saturday, she threw a complete game two-hitter in another 1-0 victory.

The Pac-10 weekly honor was Mowatt’s fifth, tying her for third among active players. The USA award, which she shared with Tulsa’s Jackie Lawrence, was her first.

Behind Mowatt’s pitching, Arizona moved up to No. 4 in the ESPN.com/USA Softball Top 25.

– Arizona Daily Wildcat

UA will not compete in Mt. Sac Combined Events

Although the track and field teams were scheduled to compete in the Mt. Sac Combined Events, Arizona will not participate in the meet that runs today and tomorrow.

Arizona’s two multi event athletes, senior Jake Arnold of the men’s team and sophomore Shevell Quinley of the women’s, automatically qualified for the June 6-9 NCAA Outdoor Championships at the LSU Multis on March 29-30.

“”Even if they didn’t qualify we still wouldn’t run them because it’s too close to their last multis,”” said UA head coach Fred Harvey.

The meet was on the schedule because the Arizona distance contingent will compete Friday through Sunday in the Mt. Sac Relays, which will follow the combined-events portion of the meet.

Arnold and Quinley will compete in the multi events at the Pac-10 Combined Events Championships on May 5-6 and the NCAA Championships.

– Justin Adler