Elementary teacher robbed in classrooom

While preparing for her class Tuesday morning, a Hazelton Elementary School teacher was surprised in her classroom and robbed of her purse by a man who remains at large, according to Stockton police.

There were no students in the classroom during the robbery, which took place about 7:45 a.m.

Officer Pete Smith, a Police Department spokesman, said the teacher struggled briefly with the robber, throwing a cup of hot tea at him before he ran away.

Sylvia UlmerStockton Unified School District director of elementary education, said Hazelton is a secure campus that keeps its gates locked all day, except for 10 minutes at 8 a.m. to allow preschool families on campus.

Otherwise, the administration office opens at 7:30 a.m., offering the sole entrance to the campus during school hours.

Tuesday morning, the teacher who was robbed arrived on campus at 7:25 a.m. and unlocked the gate herself, Ulmer said. She locked the gate be-

hind her.

“”This gentleman, who was riding a bicycle, jumped the fence and walked in behind her,”” Ulmer said.

In the struggle for her purse, Smith said, the teacher suffered minor injuries and some torn clothing.

The robber was described as black, approximately 40 to 50 years old, about 5 feet 11 inches tall and of medium build. He wore black clothing, including a hooded sweatshirt.

Smith said there is a large transient population in the area around the school, partly because of the proximity of the railroad tracks, Columbus Square park, Interstate 5 and a homeless shelter. There is also street-level trade in drugs in areas not far from the school, he said.

Stockton Unified Police Chief Jim West said the case is being handled solely by Stockton Police and did not comment further.