W-golf comes in 2nd in Las Vegas

The No. 8 Arizona women’s golf team finished second at the Las Vegas Collegiate Showdown yesterday, its highest finish of the season but still a lost opportunity to win, according to UA head coach Shelly Haywood.

The Wildcats entered the final round five strokes out of first place and went 6 over on the day, coming in 11 strokes behind No. 13 Denver.

“”We just didn’t get it done,”” Haywood said. “”We needed to go under par on the day, and we didn’t. We didn’t birdie enough.””

Arizona finished the tournament at 5 over. Haywood said that despite the third round, finishing second in the last tournament of the fall season was a great accomplishment.

“”I’m absolutely impressed with our effort,”” Haywood said. “”We now know what we have to work on for next semester.””

Once again, it was senior Alison Walshe putting in the top performance for the Wildcats. Walshe battled back from 10th place after the first round to finish tied for second at 5 under.

“”Obviously, I’m happy with coming back to finish second,”” Walshe said. “”I’m very pleased.””

Freshman Alejandra Llaneza turned in the best performance of her young career, finishing fourth with a score of 2-under 214.

“”It was very exciting,”” Llaneza said. “”We had a good tournament as a team. I felt good with my game and I’m very happy with my finish.””

Llaneza got a surprise visit in Las Vegas from her parents, who traveled from Mexico City to show up on the first green Monday.

“”I couldn’t believe it was them when I saw them,”” Llaneza said. “”I think I played well because I was happy they were there.””

Having two players in the top five was what fueled the team’s performance, Haywood said.

“”It was great,”” Haywood said. “”Alison is an All-American for a good reason, and I’m really proud of Alejandra, as well. If we can get three girls in the top five, we’ll win.””

The Wildcats won’t return to action until January. Walshe plans to participate in non-school events during the winter, but for most of the team, the break is an opportunity to recuperate and regroup for the spring.

“”We actually need a break,”” Haywood said. “”It’s been a hectic few months for us. The girls could use some time off from golf. I have a good idea what we need to work on. They’re all motivated and looking forward to proving themselves in the spring.””