University of Arizona Family Weekend 2022 is jam-packed with activities

Gracie Kayko

Head coach Jedd Fisch and the Arizona football team’s captains on stage at Bear Down Friday, Sept. 9, 2022. The crowd is full for the first pep rally of the year.

As Family Weekend is approaching this weekend, ZonaZoo has a weekend full of activities made for all visitors. 

For many students, this is the first time they get to see their loved ones after coming to school in August, and this is an opportunity to show their families what they have been up to. 

Whether that be through GreekLife, clubs, sports or the university itself, there are many events scattered throughout the entire weekend. 

“The [University of Arizona] is going to be absolutely filled with many different events and activities over the course of the weekend to portray our true pride and spirit to our families,” said Brianna Antillon, executive director of ZonaZoo.  

Starting Oct. 7, student clubs and other campus groups will have informational booths on the UA Mall at the Family Weekend Engagement and Resource Fair. There will also be time to register for the tailgate that will occur on Oct. 8. 

Every Friday before a football game the UA holds Bear Down Friday, and Friday, Oct. 7, is no different. 

“I think it will be really fun for the families to come out and see what the UA is about,” said Sydney Schumer, a member of the ZonaZoo crew.

Bear Down Fridays are pep rallies held to bring together UA students, alumni and the Tucson community before football games. This upcoming Bear Down Friday will be at Main Gate Square on University Boulevard Oct. 7 from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. 

“This event gets not only our university involved but the entire community involved where we all come together for this special pep rally to get ready to cheer on our football team at their game on Saturday,” Antillon said.

The Pride of Arizona marching band will be performing along with the Arizona pomline. There will also be appearances from Wilma and Wilbur and the UA’s Athletic Director, Dave Heeke. 

Along with these special guests, there will be small businesses, people promoting things in Tucson and giveaways.  

Saturday’s tailgate will be before the football game from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. and on the UA Mall. 

Antillon said through backyard games and giveaways, families will truly be able to embody the spirit of UA. 

Saturday night at 6 p.m. the Wildcats will take on the University of Oregon Ducks at Arizona Stadium. 

After their win against the University of Colorado Boulder this past weekend, this game is highly anticipated, and ZonaZoo is excited to see everyone’s families in their UA attire.  

The game will include DJ Scooter, student-made signs and a halftime performance dedicated to Hispanic Heritage Month. 

“Everyone should expect to have a super packed weekend filled with Arizona spirit and pride while they get to share these once-in-a-lifetime experiences with their family,” Antillon said. 

Follow Anna Lineberry on Twitter