Number of Pima transfers at UA tops record high

While overall admission to the UA dropped slightly this year, the UA accepted more transfer students from Pima Community College than ever before.

A total of 808 students from PCC came to the UA, which has a total of 36,805 students this semester, according to the UA Office of Institutional Research and Evaluation.

That figure is slightly lower than the last two years’, with 37,036 in 2005 and 36,932 in 2004.

“”I was about two courses shy of completing my AGEC when I transferred. I didn’t know that the UA was so different. I was a little upset. Now I have extra classes I need to take. to make up for it.””

– Chris Reich,
    journalism junior

A better understanding of the transfer process contributed to the higher transfer rate, said Dave Padgett, the assistant vice chancellor for academics at PCC.

Many students do not realize all three state universities have different general education requirements, Padgett said.

“”The (general education courses) at the UA are completely different from ASU, which are different from NAU,”” Padgett said.

To help combat the confusion, PCC offers a course, student success 210, about transferring to a four-year university.

The course has 30 sections offered through PCC.

Paul Kohn, the assistant vice president for admissions and financial aid, said he supports the course and sees it as a great tool for PCC students ready to come to the UA.

“”It is such a tremendous benefit for them,”” Kohn said. “”It helps them get things in order before they enroll.””

Chris Reich, a journalism junior, said he understands the importance of completing the Arizona General Education Curriculum before transferring.

“”I was about two courses shy of completing my AGEC when I transferred,”” Reich said. “”I didn’t know that the UA was so different. I was a little upset. Now I have extra classes I need to take to make up for it.””

During the semester, students of student success 210 visit the UA campus six times. The students meet with advisers, financial aid officials, and Parking and Transportation Services to prepare for the transfer.

Kohn said the number of transfer students will continue to increase in the future.

The number of sections offered corresponds to the increase in transfer students. The course has been offered for 10 years, starting with one section and now 30.

“”I imagine with each year, as more students take STU 210, we will see that number go up,”” Kohn said.

Another factor leading to the rise in transfer students is the rise in the population of Pima County, Kohn said.

The Pima County population in 2000 was 843,746 people, according to the U.S. Census Bureau. In 2005 that number jumped 9.6 percent to 924,786 people.

Hopefully, beyond just population, the reputation of the school draws people here, Kohn said.

“”Our business school was recently named one of the top 10 in the nation,”” Kohn said. “”Those are the kinds of things that draws people to come here.””

Kohn said transfer students who took the course are doing very well at the UA.

“”They are much more likely to persevere and stick it out until graduation because they have been given a sense of what is expected of them beforehand,”” Kohn said
    Kohn said his advice for all transfer students is to get involved in one of the 600 clubs on campus or work on campus.

“”Enhance your experience here,”” Kohn said. “”A sense of belonging is tied to a student’s success.””