Just the fashion facts

Hang this up

Having a stand-out wardrobe just got a whole lot easier.

Even for those who are not entirely fashion-conscious, most people still don’t want to show up somewhere wearing the same thing that everyone else is wearing. The Hang Up gets that.

The boutique, located at 739 N. Fourth Avenue, now in the hands of new owners Fernanda Elias and Monique Lopez, strives to create a haven for pieces that are not all over town.

“”You are not going to find something here that you are going to find at the mall,”” Elias said.

To give the Hang Up’s current collection – which includes women’s casual wear, evening wear, vintage, an introduction to menswear and pieces from their own respective lines – some exposure, they showed some of their latest styles for fall at the Soda Pop (a downtown- and Fourth Avenue-based magazine) release party at Plush on Saturday night.

Here are some of the coolest styles on display that night:

If having an incomparable style is actually your main concern, buying vintage pieces is the way to go. Apparently, the Hang Up boutique’s customers understand that.

“”Our vintage wear is our No. 1 seller,”” Lopez said. “”It goes like hot cakes.””

This rayon floral piece, which may date back to the early ’70s, gives a nod to current fall trends particularly for its plum hue, a major color of the season.

String ties around the dress to cinch the waist a bit more delicately than a belt would, and the lace detailing adds a nice feminine touch.

The dress does not require much accessorizing, either. Throw it on with some wedges and you’re out the door.

“”I would wear it out to a club, dinner, the grand opening of a store,”” Lopez said of the top from her own line, Manual Labor.

A graduate of Tucson Design College and a former assistant designer for the trendy jeans label Rock & Republic, it looks as though Lopez could have a promising career in fashion design.

Here she used satin and raw silk to embellish what would otherwise be an ordinary purple T-shirt.

Worn with jeans, like this pair of Blue Cults ($90), the top creates a fun weekend look that can go with sandals in the daytime or pumps in the evening.

Lopez cites designer Marc Jacobs as her influence that’s apparent in this top, which resembles something that could be found in his secondary line, Marc by Marc Jacobs. Unlike Jacobs’ sometimes outlandish prices, this shirt goes for $38.

Elias, who designs for both men and women, wants to see guys in something different when they go out at night.

Her creation – a navy blue sports coat with plaid detailing on the pockets and cuffs and a huge plaid cross patch on the back – has a punk-chic look to it that aligns with current trends.

“”Plaid is going to be huge,”” Elias said.

She envisions the coat sported with jeans and a T-shirt, like the pirate motif tees they carry in the Hang Up by Rock Steady.

Many men do not like to go out and shop the way women do because they don’t want to go to the mall, Elias said.

If she keeps pumping out pieces like this $80 coat, they won’t have to.

The store’s one-of-a-kind philosophy is apparent in this two-piece eveningwear ensemble.

A multi-colored tulle skirt and knit top adorned with circular flowers screams Carrie Bradshaw of “”Sex and the City”” and outrageousness in unison.

Although not a thrifty item – the garb is being sold for $1,000 – the labor that went into it by local designer Giannina Rose was extensive. It took three months to knit the top portion alone.

Despite its uniqueness and glamour, the piece might be difficult to bring out of the closet and into Tucson’s laid-back, flip-flop-dominated style scene. If you’re traveling to a more uptown fashion-oriented place, however, it could name you the belle of the ball.

“”I just got back from L.A., and I mean, I definitely could’ve worn it there,”” Lopez said.