Old Faithful: Veteran Clubs of Spring Fling

UA Compost Cats via Facebook

The usual suspects of university events will be in attendance at this year’s Spring Fling. The Associated Students of the University of Arizona is at the top of the list. 

Without their money allocation and administrative efforts, Spring Fling would fail to take shape year after year.

Also in attendance will be Compost Cats, who always work to keep campus clean and green, as well as student and employees of  UA Presents, who are responsible for keeping people entertained beyond just games and rides. 

The whole event is organized by eight student leaders and run largely by volunteers in the ASUA club community. These clubs can capitalize on running Spring Fling booths this weekend in a manner similar to that of percentage nights: raising money while making friends and fellow students happy.

There will be roughly one club involved for every year that the event has been around. Out of the 40 clubs listed on the event’s website, one can find honoraries, smaller greek organizations and field-specific clubs at-large on our campus.

The Arizona Mock Trial Club is no stranger to Spring Fling. It was founded over a decade ago and has been working at Spring Fling for many of the subsequent years. The club is a great way for students studying law to evaluate court cases, though this isn’t a requirement for joining the club. It acts out cases while competing against other teams.

Jean Paul Barnard is a UA law graduate student who now mentors the teams. Barnard offered some insight into how the club was involved in Spring Fling during the years he was an undergraduate.

The club is usually composed of between 30 to 40 students who are split into four separate teams for competition. 

Though most are not as close with the other mockers outside of their person teams, Barnard shared memories of good times he had at Spring Fling running a game with others in the club.

“The water gun booth actually had a mic and speaker set up,” Barnard said. “One of us would use the mic and be the announcer for the booth. We would try to use the most ridiculous accents we could think of when being the announcer.”

Spring Fling is a time-honored UA tradition, one that all can enjoy. Countless clubs have participated in the annual event over the years and most, like the Arizona Mock Trial Club, can attest to the productive fun the function provides.

Follow Gretchyn Kaylor on Twitter