Fashion, from the runway to the UA

Earlier this month, New York Fashion Week premiered this season’s bold couture and runway trends that will transition us from a scorching summer to a fashionable fall. Of course, we normal Tucson girls might not be chic New Yorkers, but we love fashion just as much as Carrie Bradshaw. So let’s turn campus into our runway. Many styles by well-known designers can be taken to the streets and are perfect pieces for a fashionable fall wardrobe:

Polka dotted tights

Paired with nearly every outfit in the Marc Jacobs fall collection, polka dotted tights help pull an outfit together. Skirts and tights have been popular winter fashions for a while now, but adding a simple design to them can lend a chic, high-fashion look to an outfit in need.

Steel gray

As seen in the Donna Karan and Calvin Klein collections, steel gray is a popular color this fall. A change-up from the ever-faithful black ensemble, gray must be worn correctly to prevent unflattering looks in silk or sheer materials. Be careful of the fabric, but keep an eye out for fitted gray slacks or a boyfriend blazer.

Trench coat

This may sound scary, but I promise it can work. A thick, long black trench coat (while completely unnecessary in Arizona) can have you looking like you’re trying to sell fake gold chain watches out of your coat’s insides in an alleyway, so this fall fashion must be worn right. Try coats that go just to your knee, are cheery bright colors and an appropriate material for the climate. Oscar de la Renta’s collection boasts many bold takes on the simple trench coat.

Casual blazer

Tommy Hilfiger and countless other designers have embraced the blazer nation. While I prefer colorful blazers paired with a simple outfit, Max Azria’s simple black blazer is one of my favorites from Fashion Week. These vital fall fashion elements are great with a pair of skinny jeans, a knee-length dress or a high waisted skirt.

Honorable mentions

Other fall fashions not necessarily featured in Fashion Week have also caught my eye. Chunky scarves are a must-have item that can be used to dress up and accessorize an outfit. Also, a simple heeled ankle boot can make a skinny jean outfit stylish (and can complement tights and a high-waisted skirt well). Maxi skirts and dresses have been a popular trend through summer and are great transition pieces into fall. Now it’s time to get shopping!

— Ashley Pearlstein is a journalism junior. She can be reached at arts@wildcat.arizona.edu.